BBS RX2 (GTI Split Rims) Refurb Guide

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Andy1.6
Gold Member

Post by Andy1.6 »

Is it possible to do a half decent refurbishment without having them powdercoated as I just dont have the money!

Will a good sand down then several coats of primer do it? Thanks
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh if your patient and know what your doing. It takes alot of time and coats
Andy1.6
Gold Member

Post by Andy1.6 »

Tim_GTi wrote:Yeh if your patient and know what your doing. It takes alot of time and coats
Yeh thats fine, I do seem to have quite a lot of my hands!

I redid my friends (csc4life) sport 13"s yesterday in black and it went quite well and that was a pretty quick job (start to finish in 7 hours!) So i've had a bit of practice now too! But If I spend like a week doing mine properly should be fine!

Cant Wait!
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

has anyone tried to lacquer the rim after polishing it? a year on after doing mine they look worse than before, even after using metal polish/wax regularly! gonna re-do them so ideally would like to get a lasting finish this time...
Trottagti
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by Trottagti »

Theres no clear coat that adears to polished metal or any metal, but it will dry on ur rims! just one chip and goodbye clear coat!!

Im not gona do mine just use autosol metal polish it eats into anything!
way_z
Silver Member
Drives: 6n2 1.4 TDI

Post by way_z »

autosol... thats what i used and it still corroded like a b*tch! ah man as much as i like the polished finish, might go for diamond cut and lacquer for practicality! :roll:
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

it's really bugging me aswell, I used Meguiar's all metal polysh, it says "Anti-corrosive agents fight against environmental attack and degradation" it's not rusted a lot but I do have a lot of black pitting that's developed...
it's hardly noticeable if I polish it every week but it's been a real pain with all this rain.
anybody had a successful and practical solution?
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

JPR_polo_gti wrote:it's really bugging me aswell, I used Meguiar's all metal polysh, it says "Anti-corrosive agents fight against environmental attack and degradation" it's not rusted a lot but I do have a lot of black pitting that's developed...
it's hardly noticeable if I polish it every week but it's been a real pain with all this rain.
anybody had a successful and practical solution?

Exact same problem.. i used atosol polish and they were blinging. but ive left the alloys outside covered by black bags and now ive got small black dots forming on them..
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

Guys just laqaur them again iv autosoled mine after going thru the grades to 4000 and then i moped them with autosol, propa bling daddy!

Then i clear coated and it loses a little sheen but is the most practical, rtegular cleaning will be helpfull and not curbing lol!

CLEAR COaTING IS THE FUTURE, im a sprayer btw and every polished lip we repair we clear coat.
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

Trottagti wrote:Guys just laqaur them again iv autosoled mine after going thru the grades to 4000 and then i moped them with autosol, propa bling daddy!.
trotta what lacquer would u recommend? anywhere i can get the from?
Trottagti

Post by Trottagti »

To be honest im a sprayer and only recomend Glasurit products as we work on rolls royces and bentleys but pay a bodyshop to spray clear coat on them, wont be much at all and if u use like a spray can clear coat it will be thin and really crapy, Pay a bodyshop to clear coat them, its thicker and ul get a better finish pal!
vw55raz
Gold Member

Post by vw55raz »

Trottagti wrote:To be honest im a sprayer and only recomend Glasurit products as we work on rolls royces and bentleys but pay a bodyshop to spray clear coat on them, wont be much at all and if u use like a spray can clear coat it will be thin and really crapy, Pay a bodyshop to clear coat them, its thicker and ul get a better finish pal!
nice 1 !
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

does anybody have a link to the driver bit that is needed on the web?

or if anyone has one that there willing to sell? (i'll even send it back when finished)

cheers
JPR_polo_gti
Silver Member

Post by JPR_polo_gti »

I think they sell them on justmatz but I got mine with a socket set from halfords.

just spotted this on pistonheads lol, doesn't really suit the mk5 but I think they'd go well on my mk3... solves the pitting problem aswell.
I have a can of red hammerite kicking about somewhere...

pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

on a red one they'll be good. i though about it for mine but polished lip is better 8)

also i've got a thingy to undo them now so not needed :)