9n Removing Front Bumper

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
SiDaBa
Sponsor

9n Removing Front Bumper

Post by SiDaBa »

CLICKY

Is in .pdf format :)

Please PM me if there are errors with it :wink:
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Nice one Si!!! 8)
carmadaaron
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by carmadaaron »

excellent... but does this come off with the votex front skirt? :?:

go on dino, u know u want to do it first :D
Jackthelad
Getting There!

Post by Jackthelad »

Thanks mate, helped me out big time, now I can fit my angel eyes :D
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Jackthelad wrote:Thanks mate, helped me out big time, now I can fit my angel eyes :D
Saw your post about the Angel eyes, thought it might be of use to you :wink: .

Aaron - I don't see why it wouldn't apply to those with the votext skirt fitted... sadly i knocked my votex skirt off before doing this DIY. However if i hadn't nocked it off I'd have never done the DIY as i wouldn't have got the Caractere lower spoiler :P ....

Aaron - In short... I'll take a look when i next go in to the garage as i've still got both the votex sill and the old lower part of my bumper :)
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Aaron - I believe that with the Votex you need to undo the two screws in the wheel arch where it joins as it's glued everywhere else - so i guess the 2 screws would just detach it from the body.

:? I'll give it a go when the weather better.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Superb guide mate, very helpful 8) . I need to remove my bumper and my bodyshop wants £60 to do this saying its a 3 hour job :?

From this it looks quite easy to me. Is it also easy to put back on. If so i'll give it a go myself tommorow (edit: today) and save some money :lol: .

But when fitting back, does it simply slide back and screw how it was removed? I mean like it doesnt need to be re-aligned or anything should it. It should just fit back one way that puts it back to how it was before removing right?

Another thing is the airbag sensor disconnection. Does this in anyway affect the airbag system, i.e. flashing airbag light that needs 2 be reset, and did you remove the negative pole of battery, or did u just d/c it regardless but with engine off (obviously :lol: )?

Thanks
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Cheers :wink:

It does just simply slide back on, no realignment was ever involved in mine nor Dino's.

Think you may misunderstand what i mean by "disconnecting" the air bag sensor. What i mean by disconnecting is pulling it out of the slip it sits in. I personally didn't disconnect the battery and yes with the engine off. There is nothing electronically involved in "disconnecting" the switch so there is and was no flashing light. Just becareful not to push the end of it as this is what i assume is a "button" which would set off the air bags, if that makes sense?
dino
Sponsor

Post by dino »

Plus dont shout BANG when someone is taking the airbag sensor off - i couldn't resist lol

Si, the guide no longer works fyi.
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Sidaba or Dino,

Is this the airbag sensor that is mentioned in this guide, which is attached to the bumper??

Because when i removed the bumper it was not attach to the bumper, instead its neatly tucked as above :shock: Any ideas where its meant to go exactly, i cant find the reccess where it fits.

Cheers 8)
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Well that's reassuring :shock:

Right on the bumper there should be if i remember correctly a little bit of plastic a clip that holds the sensor should slide on to :)
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Lol,

I had a headlight replaced under warranty and thats the only time the bumper has been off, so i assume its VWs fault.

I went back to them and they want to charge me a diagnostic charge to put this thing back where it is. :evil:

Still can't seem to work out where it would go, probably because ive never seen where it originally was :lol: .

pics of the back of the bumper.

Thanks 8)
SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Clip slides on the at plastic edge neatly highlighted :P :wink:
macemc86
Silver Member

Post by macemc86 »

hmmm , mine wasnt attatched to the bumper either lol...could explain why my airbag didnt go off when i had a crash perhaps?
X1_NBP
Getting There!

Post by X1_NBP »

hi all, i tried the link it isnt working :?

anywhoo, isnt it possible to just remove the bottom grill or would i have to take the whole bumper off to do that?