how to work safely under your car.

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

how to work safely under your car.

Post by polo2k »

please remember at all times when under your car that any wrong move could mean that your in some serious trouble! any thing from a cheap axle stand to a tug on a spanner could cuse you to experiance, first hand, one of the most unpleasent ways to die*.
always work on a flat surface.
never work under a car held by only a jack
whenever possible use a hydrolic jack (the stock ones are absolute cr"")
always use good jacking points.

place the jack under a suitable jacking point and slowly raise the car until its at the desired height then place axlestands under strong body places.slowly lower the car onto the stands and with the jack slightly lower than the body (incase the car falls) check the car is secure. even if it is leave the jack there as security
here is an example for me to comment on:
slowly raise the car like this exept that you really should remove the haldle or place it vertical so no one can trip on it. (basic health and safty)
if jacking the car high then try and rock each corner up and dorw to see iif you have lifter 2 extra wheels
this is a particulaly big problem on lowered and stiffened cars
http://www.imagestation.com/video/view. ... 86853&dl=1 see here for a video of the problem ( i solved it by placing anothe stand under the car)
most importantly remember your playing with your life here

* this may upset some so please dont read if your squeemish!
the reason why its so painful is that when the car falls it only half crushes you so you dont die until you suffercate of die of internal bleeding. in the meantime you will be in great pain from the crushing and possibly getting burnt from exaust etc. sorry if that is a little grafic but i dont want anyone to die and this may help them to take care

Post by Guest »

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but why can't you just reverse the car up the ramps :?:

They are made that shape for a reason you know....
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

i was doing the exaust so i only needed the back up and when i try and reverse onto the ramps they just get pushed along
if i were doing the front then i normally would but i try and do that as little as possible as it aint good for my clutch
anyway i prefer those to small axle stands cos ive seen a set of triangular based ones sind into the tarmack on a hot day :shock:
so really its personal choise and what allows you to work on the part your doing (if your doing your pads you cant do it with the wheel on so you cant use ramps) so i was doing the exaust and i recon its got more room to work in cos your not blocked by an axle stand (and its safer when you go higher)
sorry im not trying to be confronting just trying to show some options

Post by Guest »

No probs,

I just find the title of your post a little funny. The car is on one ramp, fitted backwards, and a trolly jack, with the handle still in it !

Unless i am very much mistaken you are also on a slight slope, towards the front of the car and to make matters worse, the front wheels haven't got any chock's / bricks in front of them to stop the car rolling !

any jack, stand, ramp will sink into the tarmac. It's all to do with weight and limited contact area. Thats why most manufacturers recommend NOT using them on tarmac. If you must use them on tarmac put a sheet of hardwood under them to transfer the load.