Modifying your instrument cluster (the Blue Peter way)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Noddy
Bronze Member

Modifying your instrument cluster (the Blue Peter way)

Post by Noddy »

My 1997 6N is a lovely car and everything but I was getting a little tired of the drab green-lit instrument cluster that squatted in front of me when driving.

So I bought a set of second-hand clocks from a 'NoWorries' on ClubPolo and set about creating a set of clocks that I would enjoy looking at.

The following is a short tutorial on how to modify the clocks yourself. I'll begin by explaining how to remove your original clocks. The usual disclaimers apply: If you plan on reselling your car or are worried about damaging important sh it its probably best to spend your money on a Lockwood kit or something. Don't blame me if this all fu cks up!

STEP 1:
Remove two screws at top of instrument panel surround. If the steering wheel gets in your way, lower it using the adjustment handle on the left hand side!

STEP 2:
Rip out the panel surround.

STEP 3:
Remove two screws at top sides of instrument panel that are securing it. You might need a torch to see them since its pretty dark in there.

STEP 4:
Rip the ugly bastard out and disconnect the plug at the rear of the unit. You should be left with a gaping void.

STEP 5:
Time to get freaky with an Allen key. There are four screws on each corner of the unit which hold the plastic front in place. Undo them and remove the front panel.

STEP 6:
The black fascia of the unit is attached to the cream part by means of a series of clips. Undo all the clips and remove the black fascia.

STEP 7:
What we're aiming to do now is remove the needles to get at the metal clock template. Using a pair of pliers, gently grip the black circular part of each needle and pull - but be careful dammit!

STEP 8:
Needles removed, you need to unhook the metal clocks template from its various slots then gently lift it out.

At this point in the tutorial you have two options. You can either use your own scanner to scan your clocks and mess around in Photoshop with them or you can use my template, below:

Its not an amazing scan, i'm sure you can do better, but it will suffice for those of us with poor eyesight.

STEP 9:
Print out your newly photoshopped clocks onto some high quality paper. Hell LAMINATE it if you really want. Go crazy.

STEP 10:
Attach the new paper clocks template onto your existing metal clocks template. I used very thin amounts of blu-tack but you can do whatever you want.

STEP 11:
The needles. They are white. Attack them with a red permanent marker!

STEP 12:
Refit coloured needles using pliers

STEP 13:
On the top of the black fascia that you removed you'll see a big green strip of plastic. This is what gives your dash that rancid green glow. Remove the strip, find some blue (or whatever colour) plastic laminate (you can buy it from WH Smiths and stuff) and cut it to the exact same size. No fit that on top of the black thing thus:

STEP 14:
If you're a read hardcore bastard you can also change the colour of the indicator lights by messing with the little piece of plastic you can see at the top of the picture (below). Its a bit more difficult though as its an awkward shape and you need to etch the 'full beam' symbol into it aswell.

STEP 15:
Refit and test! Put all the sh it back together, plug the cable back into the rear of the unit and give it a test.

As you can see in the picture above, I refitted NoWorries' old clocks so it looks like my car has gained another 10,000 miles overnight! Because I had a spare set of clocks I could afford to be reckless, you probably can't so be f ucking careful.

Over the coming weeks i'm going to try and refine my design and also properly take apart NoWorries' old clocks to see if there is a way to modify the colour of the LCD screens (i'm sure Tej actually did this). So i'll update this tutorial as and when.

Hopefully this basic tutorial has given you the confidence to go and attempt something creative today. On the other hand it may have ruined your only set of instrument clocks! Oh sh it!

Good luck!
mk4po-low
Getting There!

Post by mk4po-low »

nice guide mate, have you got any pics of the instrument cluster light up? ps this guide wll be very different for the 6n's with the later style clocks!
Noddy
Bronze Member

Post by Noddy »

I'll take some pictures of it with the blue lights as soon as possible but when I took apart the spare set I seem to have failed to put the screw in bulbs back in correctly as the lighting circuit wasn't working! Argh.

Also, I know the post -1998 6N's actually have coloured LED's rather than strips of coloured plastic! Amazing what a few years research and development does for the technology of a Polo dash.

Yeah, anyway, those of you with a 1998+ Polo better get aquainted with a soldering iron if you want to change the colour of your dash lighting! Thanks mk4po-low!
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

gunna try changing the light colour tomorow, cheers for this guide it rocks
spot_on_jon
Bronze Member

Post by spot_on_jon »

this is a gud guide mate!!!

my dials are different to urs tho, dials are the same just he clock is on te other side to urs
Rob123
Getting There!

Post by Rob123 »

any pics at night? with the lights on?
antonio_king
New

Post by antonio_king »

what an ace tut!
So... you find out how to do the clock and mileage?
dreleask
New

Post by dreleask »

amazing guide mate!! thanks for that!

any luck with the digital read outs yet? i think they myt actually be LEDs at the back of the display?
pip_polo
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by pip_polo »

i might try that, but i think i'll go to scrappy to get them, and if they go wrong it hasn't bodged up my car.

good guide to doing it though :]
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

my car is same year but the set out is different, so if i get one like yours will anything go wrong when i plug it back in?

(like the MPH will that read differently to what my speed is?)
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

Excelent guide my dials now light up red reli cool i'll put up a few pics once i got my camera charged :D
bobtknob
Sponsor

Post by bobtknob »

how difficult was it to do it?
and how long with no clocks?
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

it's not dificult at all..it's reli reli reli easly if a fourteen year old can do it, (ME) den any1 can do it. It doesnt take that long well around 20-30 min...I'll reconmend every1 does this mod........However i didnt change the clock fasial dial reading things, i left them as it was......fout it was a bit 2 risky......i just change the colour lighting from green to red ....if you got any questions feel free to ask mee :D
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

gonna give this a go in next few days.
that red lighting really makes it look nice.
compared to the manky green lol
pip_polo

Post by pip_polo »

can't do this on my car, the dials are all posh and totally unchangeble.
alarms and everything went off when i tried.

be warned if you try to do this lol

:cry: