DIY Tracker!

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

DIY Tracker!

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Here's a link to a really good idea (I think I'm going to do this!)

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14234

It's a DIY Tracker that is dirt cheap! I don't see any reason why this won't work either!

In built up areas, it is meant to be pretty accurate (between 50-500m).

Well worth a look anyway.

:idea:
Scorpio1
Gold Member

Post by Scorpio1 »

Think I might try that too, sounds like a brill idea
Clawz
Bronze Member

Post by Clawz »

That sounds like a pretty damned good idea as long as the phone is sealed away from water etc and doesn't run out of power :P
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by david burton »

that's a cool idea. especially in birmingham!

A great way of using a technology which is dirt cheap and mass produced. Anyone know of any network which requires no top up fee or no monthly fee?

The criminals wouldn't have a chance of finding it before you logged on to see where the thieving bugg3rs were!
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

My mum got an Orange PAYG SIM today that never needs topping up once you've registered it (it comes with £1 of credit, so you don't need to do anything other than register!).

The SIM was £10 from the Orange Shop.

I've got my phone and charger next to me now... Next stop, Orange Shop, then I'll break out the soldering iron, get this sucker fitted and then get my subscription to mapAmobile!

£36 for a tracker isn't bad at all!!
noodlez_polo
Getting There!

tracker

Post by noodlez_polo »

hey josh, i want to do the same as you with the tracker thing but the link wont work above, im really interested in this as i already have a sim and phone i can use, just need to know all the solderin info etc, much apprecciated tom
noodlez_polo
Getting There!

ah

Post by noodlez_polo »

i guess the soldering iron is to wire the charger to the battery. were would you solder this too,it must be a permanent supply i suppose btu what sort of effect will this have on the battery. ( if you wire it to a supply only available when ignition is turned you will only have the battery life time of the phone to locate the car) where are you going to stash it etc?
VwPo1o
Getting There!

Post by VwPo1o »

Sounds like a cool idea but i don't think it would be that good for the battery life. If its permenantly conected to the battery than should charge the phone constantly.
Tahrey1043
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Birmingham! Enjoys: The pseudo-G-Smiles provided by a 1.6 Megane Sport valver...

Post by Tahrey1043 »

but how much power does a phone charger take up anyway? compared to the battery backup for the ECU and stereo memories i dont think it would be significant. certainly not compared with even e.g. leaving a single pair of 5w parking lights switched on...
dannymacca
New

Post by dannymacca »

Just tried it, tracked my phone and got a load of rubbish really.

For a start it gave me a location for it an a whole hour ago and the location it gave me was two postcodes away and it stated it was withing 2km of this location. Not going to help much in looking for a car really!
james23
New

Post by james23 »

i cant see it guys what is it ?