MK3 - Fitting GT/G40 instrument cluster into 1.3CL

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Gobert23
New

MK3 - Fitting GT/G40 instrument cluster into 1.3CL

Post by Gobert23 »

The plan was to swap the complete instrument cluster to gain the use of a rev-counter in my 1.3CL Coupe.

I sourced the cluster from a seller on eBay for £15 (including postage and packaging) having tried, without much luck, to get an item from a local breaker.

It's worth noting that to save hassle with the MOT and having to inform the DVLA (a legal requirement), I swapped over the speedo and tachometer mechanism. This means that the original mileage is still displayed and I've no paperwork to sort out (and it only takes a few more minutes).

Tools required:

1x medium Philips/Posidrive screwdriver.
1x wire coathanger (I'll explain later).

1. Removing the plastic surround/shroud from the wheel.

Using the screwdriver remove the three screws (from uderneath) that secure the lower plastic surround. There is one small screw in the centre and two (indentical) longer screws on either side. Don't worry of the panel doesn't drop away, there should be two small tabs on either side of the dash holding it in place. A littel bit or encouragement is needed, but they separate pretty easily.

The upper surround is a little bit more tricky. There is a tab that hold the plastic in place, just behind the emergency warning light button. Gentle rotate and slide the panel to one side (don't pull the panel upwards it'll break the tab).

With both panels now removed...

2. Removing the existing instrument cluster.

Cut the coathanger so that you have four lengths of straight wire, about 4"- 5" inches in length. Carefully insert the lengths of wire into each of the small holes (two on either side of the dash). The principle is exactly the same as removing a stereo system. A little tricky, but you should be able to feel when the tabs have been pressed back.

Once released, rotate the cluster forward (the top towards you) a few inches. Don't worry about the speedo drive, but you'll need to reach behind the cluster and release the wiring socket. This is a single press socket that is just to the right on the centre. You might need to get a hand to hond the two tabs.

Rotate the cluster and pass it through the steering wheel (Note: I didn't remove my wheel).

3. Swapping the instruments over.

With both clusters out of the car, remove the four screws on the lefthand side of the instruments (looking at the back of the unit). This will allow you to remove the electrical part of the cluster. Note: Remove the two bulb holders at the top and separate the contact strip from the top of the unit before trying to completely separate the instruments.

The same process, plus the removal of the additional two case screws will release your original speedo and tachometer assembly.

A quick bit of reverse engineering should have the new cluster all back together... Speedo first (two screws), then the new rev couter (four screws), then the contact for the lights an then finally the two small bulbs (You could even change these for a different colour if you want?)

4. Installing the cluster.

Exactly the reverse prinicple of removal. Pass the cluster through the wheel and then reconnect the electrical socket. Align the the cluster and then pass the unit back until it is seated. The speedo drive should slot home without any worries. A gentle press into place and the tabs will relocate.

5. Replace the top and then the lower surrounds, replace the screws and you're finished.

Cheers

Greg