9N - Colour Coded Rear VW Badge

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
mole
Admin

9N - Colour Coded Rear VW Badge

Post by mole »

9N Colour Coded Rear VW Badge

Here's a *very* quick how to showing how to colour code the centre of your rear VW badge.
The best paint to use is the stuff you can get from the dealers. It comes with the colour and a lacquer. It's also probably a good idea to buy some primer from somewhere like Halfords.

The method I used to remove the badge from the car, was a butter knife, covered with masking tape, and VERY CAREFULLY levered the badge off after heating it up with a hair dryer. You could also try some adhesive remover, but I didn't have any ;)

This shows the badge after it has been removed.

Now, there will be 2 "rivets" that hold the chrome part of the badge to the back part. Cut the top off of these using a stanley knife.

You will now have the badge in two pieces as shown above. Clean up the plastic piece with water and soap to remove any accumulated dirt. Allow to dry and give a light sand with some wet and dry. Make sure all dust is cleaned off and lay on some newspaper.

Give the badge a coat of primer and leave to dry for about an hour. Then give the badge a coat of colour or two and allow to dry.
Spray with the clear coat and allow an hour to dry. Re-spray a second time and allow to dry overnight.

Once it has dried overnight, it is time to put it back together and stick the badge back on!
Push the "rivets" back thru the holes, and put some araldite glue over the top and allow to set.

Finished product:

Remove the old sticky stuff from the car using adhesive remover and some elbow grease!
Using some "heavy duty" sticky pads, stick the badge back onto the car making sure it is straight.

Sit back and enjoy the colour coded badge!

SiDaBa
Sponsor

Post by SiDaBa »

Good *quick* write up!! :D :D

If anyone has a front 9n badge they'd like to donate to me (maybe a small fee) then i'll be more than happy to do a write up on how i did my badge!! :D ........ though you may not really be interested in that :roll: !!

incase one hasn't seen my front badge, it is shown below, black "vw" instead of chrome and the black plastic has been matched to the colour of the car (a good suggestion of dxg's, that i decided i'd do!!)
dxg

Post by dxg »

Looks rather good, if I do say so myself...
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Was gonna do this last as mole did his. But I put the badge somewhere and now I can't find it!

Doh! :oops:
toXXin

Post by toXXin »

I did this to my first MK3 but painted the badge black...looked rather good then...yours looks much better though :)
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

Anybody know if the rear badge can be done on a 6N in the same way as above?
Good 'how to' Mole 8)
SteveB
Silver Member

Post by SteveB »

I found another post saying it can be done on 6N2/9N but didn't say 6N.
D17NS X
Getting There!

Nice job mole

Post by D17NS X »

Done this on my polo yesterday, nice quick an easy. Makes the car look so much better!!!

Sorry dnt no if the 6n can be done, sure someone will help you out.

Dan :D
jon_poloV
Sponsor

paint!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jon_poloV »

just wondering where to get some of the sticky pads to stick it back on after sparaying, and hw much roughly are the paint and laquer?
cheers
jon
Bouff
New

Post by Bouff »

Just bought the colour spray from the dealer and it was about £11.00. You get the colour spray and the laquer (i.e. two tins)

Spray cans aren't very big though!!

Bouff.
jon_poloV
Sponsor

rear badge!

Post by jon_poloV »

completed with ease and looks superb, cheers mole! ill put some pics of it on the car in members sections
thanks
cyhliu
Platinum Member

Post by cyhliu »

Chaps,

What kind of heavy duty sticky pads do you mean? Are there any that are specifically made for this application? I don't want to be ruining my paintwork!

Cheers!