removing window tint

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

removing window tint

Post by polo2k »

i recently had a little run in with the law and they gave me the chance to remove the tint from my front 2 windows or they would fine me and give me some points on my licence included herein is a general guide on how to remove window tint. please note that the tint that i was removing was the cheep crapppy type sold at halfords.
items required
tools needed to remove windows(front) on a mk5
1x long medium pozidrive screwdriver
1x really short phillips
some kind of tool to prise the door interior off
1x 10mm socket and ratchet
items required to remove the tint
1x bottle of amonia (as pure as possible
1x bottle of brake fluid
1x bottle of brake cleaner
1x razor blade
1x hot air gun
1x roll of cloth
1x bottle of window cleaner (of choise)
1x bottle of rain-X (optional)
lots of time
Procedure
1. remove windows from the car (ill try and do a post on this in due time)
2. lay the windows on a suportave surface (old pillow/foam) tint side up
3. start scraping off the tint as best as you can (the more the better)(a hot air gun may help here)
4. when you have removed as much tint as possible go outside with your window and foam and pour brake fluid and amonia on the tint side of the window and allow it to soak for a while (if you can leave the window in the sun so it warms up as you do this
5. while wearing some kind of gloves scrape as much of the remaining tint off the glass
6. you shuld now have a tint free window covbered in glue, no problem, go to town on it with some brake cleaner and wipe off the glue.
7. start to clean the window as best you can inside and out (you dont want and residue left on now do you)
8. (optional) rain X the outside of the glass cos its easier to do when the glass is out
9. refit window
10. clean it one more time

time needed
it took me 3 hrs to do 2 windows but this may vary depending on the tint and how well/badly it was applied
warnings
to do this you WILL be working with some very dangerous chemicals so do it outside (i did it in the shower cos it was -2 outside and i ended up as high as a kite and also had a stinky room)
amonia is the alkaline equivilent alkaline of sulfuric acid (dont smell it either ... i did and it took 3 days for my sense of smell to return) so keep it away from your skin eyes, clothes and paintwork (same goes for the brake fluid/cleaner) some chemicals are also highly flamable so take care (brake fluid is more flamable than petrol :shock: )
the laws on tints
there are 2 laws on tints depending on the vehicle
if you have 1 or less external mirrors in this case you may tint the front windows (not winscreen) to a certain degree but if you do then expect some hassle from the law
if you have 2 external mirrors you may NOT tint the front two windows to any extent (over stock tint)
in both cases you may tint the rear of the vehicle but remember that if you go dark then it will be like driving a van and pulling out of tight roads becomes an aquired skill due to lack of visibility. reversing at night is hard too due to lack of visiblity
the fines for illegal tints can be hefty, i got warned with 3 points and a £400 fine and you must declare tints to your insurer as they may deem the vehicle unroadworthy afterwards :(
remember use your head and be safe :!:
and questons or additions are welcome :)
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Ahhh... the smell of ammonia in the morning! Skull splitting stuff.

Nice write-up!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

thanks for the compliment and cos of the amonia the cat still wont come near my room lol
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Nice one!

I want some tints, but after reading your info, I might think twice!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

so sue me i had, like, 30 seconds to waste :D
oh yeah and i just had to make the decision harder cos personally i think it looks amazing

Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Grrrrrrr :twisted:

THANKS for doing that Ash...

:wink:

It looks really good doesn't it!

What % tint do you think that would be?

Now to find some money!
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Do it Josh!!!!
Depresion
New

Post by Depresion »

Do you have any references on the laws involved in tinting your windows? (IE the name & year of the act / amendment date)
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

josh i have no idea on the % in that pic but show it to a tint shop and im sure they can tell you. deperssion i beleve it falls under the category ov vehicle construction and use* which is constantly changing so your best bet might be to go ask at your local cop shop

*the vehicle construction and use laws are usually sold as a collection of volumes and this contains about 25 1"thick books however it deatails all the rules that are relevent to anything and i do mean anything
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Does look good Josh, do itttttt!!!!!!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

mole wrote:Does look good Josh, do itttttt!!!!!!
hes got a point josh
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Indeed I have!
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

i just broused on this post while i was bored and saw a couple of pics one under the other :
so i thought
A) i rock at photo shop :D :P
B) you owe me and mole a big thanks :P (just kidding :) )
C) i think i lowered it in p chop too :D
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Yeah, thanks for "making" me get tints... it means that I can no longer drive through Manchester or North Wales without worrying about getting my car impounded. :roll:

Hahaha

You did do a pretty good job at shopping it.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

lol thanks mate and ever time i see it it looks fresher cant wait till the wheels go on