How-to: Fit a Mk4 Golf Gearknob (Polo 6N/6N2)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Speedlaw

How-to: Fit a Mk4 Golf Gearknob (Polo 6N/6N2)

Post by Speedlaw »

I've just finished fitting the gearknob from a Mk4 Golf, and it turned out to be easier than I'd imagined. I was a bit worried about fitting problems, since I hadn't read any decent writeups on the matter. So, here's my How To on the knob.

Download the PDF file for offline reference.

Get the Acrobat reader, if you don't have it already:

And this is how it looks:

Last edited by Speedlaw on Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Nice DIY guide Speedlaw :)

That looks like the one fitted to the New Polo.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

nice write up looks like mine lol
so who just got a digicam then ??? :P

for reference heres my knob (momo) with the stock boot and shortened as far as possible i.e. im butted up to the spring
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Thanks guys, but I have to be honest here: All the pics are ripped! I don't have a camera, so I just took pics here and there (notice the Mk4 Golf interior), adjusted them a bit and put them online...

Sounds a bit daft, but it gets the job done.

:D
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

erm speedy the last one is golfIII just so you know (look at the heatercontrols cos mk4 ones are the same as a polo 6n2) but golf 3`s are threaded :? :?:
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Short stick 2k :shock:
Have you just taken a hacksaw to the stick?
Does it make any difference at all?
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

polo2k wrote:erm speedy the last one is golfIII just so you know (look at the heatercontrols cos mk4 ones are the same as a polo 6n2) but golf 3`s are threaded :? :?:
I think it's a Polo though, he's got the Golf Mk3 handbrake lever and the G3 seats but don't let that put you off. Visited his site a couple of times, definitely a Polo (or the guy gave me a false pic!) :D

The heater controls look funny 'cos he opened them up I think.
polo2k

Post by polo2k »

suppose it could be a polo4 i just thought with the sets handbrake and centre console and for some reason i forgot what mk4 heater controls look like (3 big knobs wheras the 5 and 6 have a little knob for fan speed
as for the question posed by mr molio yes it makes a real difference cos there is less distance inbetween geas so you can do it faster and its a much more positive feel all you do is remove the old gearknob, cut shifter (remember to leave a little room to get the lower coller on cos i forgot and had to lift the knob a little so i could access the grub screws*) on some cars the shft must be held to stop it from turning or else youll break stuff then if you wanna fit a threaded knob then tap the shart @ M12 thread or leave it as is for a knob with grub screws.

*to work out the length you can cut off mweasure the depth if the hole in the gear knob and then add 5-10mm and then take this measurement and measure up from the top of the spring, measure again and think abot all the possible mistakes there could be and after you are sure cut it if anyone wants ill do a dedicated how to
OMEGASUPR3ME
Silver Member

Post by OMEGASUPR3ME »

HELP! took off my gear knob, the stick is really thin and i dont know how to fit my new one! the stick has no 3 lug thing or nefin, i dunno what to do! will get pics 2moz so i can show u, ne help would b much apprieciated
Noddy
Bronze Member

Post by Noddy »

Massive, massive thanks for this guide Speedlaw. I just finished fitting the mk4 Golf stick and it looks amazing! Here are some pics..

THE OLD STICK :roll:

NO STICK!

THE NEW STICK!

Image[/b]
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

quality guide! i just fitted mine about an hour ago. looks good, cheers matey and thanks to people with the pics up, helped a lot :)
polo_mf
Bronze Member

Post by polo_mf »

fitted mine a litlle while ago, but when you have to tighten it up using some pliers, mine just doens't seem to want to!!

now the knob can twist a litlle bit quite easily!!

any help really appreciated!!

cheers
mitch
olop_chris
Sponsor

Post by olop_chris »

yeah i had the same problem when i fitted mine, it was hard to get the pliers in to tighten properly so i just lived with it :)
The FASTEST
Getting There!

Post by The FASTEST »

Noddy wrote:Image[/b]

Is that gear knob " 1J0 711 113 A ". Because 6n's gear knob has elastic rubber but mk4 thing has fixed plastic thing like a frame as below.....

luke
Getting There!

Post by luke »

^^ read the guide all is explained about the bottom of the gaitor! and because you missed it the first time i've copied it out for you... :D

"2. Remove the base that comes with your new gearKnob.

Easy. The boot is held around the base with elastic rubber, so all you need to do is pull the boot off the base."

how much are these from Vw? and are there any other cheaper sellers? Thanks

Luke