Lupo GTI Aerowipers

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Silver Member

Lupo GTI Aerowipers

Post by 8080 »

Parts Required:
2x Lupo GTI Passenger wiper arm 6X2 955 409C
2x 475mm aero wiper blade 1J2 955 425A

Installation:

Just a straight swap for your standard wiper arms, undo a plastic cap, nut and washer.

Try to set the driver's side arm as low as possible on the screen

Bend the driver's side arm down to make it arch more and increase the pressure on the blade, otherwise it will lift off in the middle.

Problems:

Have to open the bonnet to lift the driver's arm up. Can't lift either arm the full way off the screen.

The spring and part of the arm scrub on the scuttle cover on the driver's side the first few times the wipers are used. Filing down the underside of the arm could help, but there isn't anyway around the scrapes from the spring. Back-to-black masks the marks.

The top of the driver's side blade taps (very rarely) against the A-pillar when using the highest wiper speed. No damage done.

Hardly any clearance between the top of the driver's blade and the bonnet. It clears fine for me, but I had my hand on the keys ready to turn off the car on the first test run - it's very close! :D

Finally, there's a lot of variables here - the strength of the blade and the tension of the spring. I've had them on my car for a while now and they're great, but it took me a month to get my set-up right. The passenger side worked perfectly straight away. The driver's side needed a lot of fine tuning to get the right amount of pressure along the length of the blade :P
Silver Member

Re: Lupo GTI Aerowipers

Post by 8080 »

Gotta re-visit this now,

I've improved by set up over the weekend. I was only ever 80% happy with the drivers' side - when the screen got a bit dry, it'd start to judder. The reason for this is the difference in the hinge - the lupo hinge is right down at the nut, the original hinge is about 5 inches along the arm and has a kink in it

So I got out my Aldi welder and joined the Lupo aero wiper end on to the original Polo drivers arm

I'm 100% happy with the set up now :D

It's the only way to go now IMO:
driver side: original polo arm with lupo aero end welded on
passenger side: lupo passenger side arm
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Nicw one. How much did you pay for the full set?
Silver Member

Post by 8080 »

I think the 2 wiper blades were £20. A Lupo passenger arm costs about £30 I'd say, I heard VW have copped that people want them for Corrados etc and have been putting up the prices :?

The aero wiper end for the drivers side would only be a few quid from a scrapyard, loads of cars have the kind of aero wiper end you want. The rest of the drivers side arm came free with my car :lol:

The welding wouldn't cost much if you can find someone to do it, it's a simple join