VW TOOL T10094A FOR SPARK PLUG REMOVAL OR BENT ROD

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
DouggieB
New

VW TOOL T10094A FOR SPARK PLUG REMOVAL OR BENT ROD

Post by DouggieB »

On the 1.4 POLO '04 VW LIST TOOL T10094A to remove the coil pack over the spark plugs. Has anyone bought this VW tool or are we all using a bent rod to remove the coil packs?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I know that Haynes suggests a piece of bent welding rod, but I just used a couple of screw drivers - one on each side, to ease them up a bit. If you do this try to stay close to the centre of the coil and not the connector end. Also remember to release the tie down clips for the coil wiring as this loom is quite tight. Plus use a spot of copper ease of something on the plug threads to avoid them seizing - and a torque wrench to avoid messing the threads up.
DouggieB
New

Post by DouggieB »

Superb reply, I will try this out
thank you
Doug
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Just in case anyone wants to buy a set of real coil pack removers - LASER sell a kit of three parts to suit most VAG installations - but that does not mean a piece of bent welding rod or two screw-drivers will not do the job for the home DIYer.
capo
New

Re:

Post by capo »

RUM4MO wrote:Just in case anyone wants to buy a set of real coil pack removers - LASER sell a kit of three parts to suit most VAG installations - but that does not mean a piece of bent welding rod or two screw-drivers will not do the job for the home DIYer.
I've just done an ebay search and they came out at lot pricer than I expected.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=coil&_kw=puller

I'll have to try and rig up some alternative to use at much lower cost. On our other VW my sister can release the coil pack connectors with her little girl fingers but not sure she'd be able to do so with the Polo.
RUM4MO

Re: Re:

Post by RUM4MO »

capo wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:Just in case anyone wants to buy a set of real coil pack removers - LASER sell a kit of three parts to suit most VAG installations - but that does not mean a piece of bent welding rod or two screw-drivers will not do the job for the home DIYer.
I've just done an ebay search and they came out at lot pricer than I expected.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=coil&_kw=puller

I'll have to try and rig up some alternative to use at much lower cost. On our other VW my sister can release the coil pack connectors with her little girl fingers but not sure she'd be able to do so with the Polo.
As I said before two screw-drivers did it for me - but if you are cack handed then disaster is just round the corner using either of the two DIY methods I'd quoted! Releasing most of these VAG connectors is a bit tricky as well as it is only too easy to damage the locking mechanism - especially after the plastics has hardened with heat and age.
capo
New

Re: Re:

Post by capo »

RUM4MO wrote:As I said before two screw-drivers did it for me - but if you are cack handed then disaster is just round the corner using either of the two DIY methods I'd quoted! Releasing most of these VAG connectors is a bit tricky as well as it is only too easy to damage the locking mechanism - especially after the plastics has hardened with heat and age.
Haha. You pre-empted my problem RUM4MO :wink:

I was going to ask for more guidance on the forums in a few days - having already taken two photos - but have just seen your reply above.

After changing our Polo's air-filter on Saturday afternoon, I'd planned to do the spark plugs also... but struggled immediately with the coil pack connector I tried to release, so I stopped. I didn't want to do any damage. Not when it the temperature had begun to drop outdoors, making my hands feel a bit 'heavy-handed' and wanting to avoid 'disaster' breakage of anything, just like you described.

I used a screwdriver to flip off those tie-downs over the wires/loom to try and gain a little more access, but found it's tightly fitted in - quite apart from disconnecting the connection ends. Maybe I should have flipped off all the tie-downs before trying to remove a coil-pack, to release more pressure.

They coil-packs gripped by plastic stabilisers to lock them in to position. I tried to free it up a little with a screwdriver, applying very light force, but it wasn't having it. I'm really going to have to do some more research, including next time I'll try 2 screwdrivers, one on either side, as I've just noticed you've already described in this thread. I'm glad I stopped though, and came back to do more research.