9N - changing bulbs guide

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

9N - changing bulbs guide

Post by david burton »

I've just finished changing the sidelight and indicator bulbs on a 9N 1.9 TDI. As far as I know this is the most-packed engine bay and it was just about possible.

Expect cut and bruised hands.

Sidelight bulbs - located towards the top of the inner of the two lights. Held in place by two plastic tabs either side of the bulb holder that need to be squeezed together.

Take the rubber cover off the back of the light - it just pulls off. Next, find the wire leading to the sidelight. It's not easy and might take some time because there is also a purple wire leading to the main beam. A make-up mirror and torch can help.
Put a small amount of pressure towards the back of the car on the wire with one hand and then with the other hand follow the wire to the bulb and squeeze the tabs together. If you can put the pressure on the wire and squeeze with the same hand then this might work better for you.

What the pressure does is allow the bulb to free itself as soon as you squeeze the plastic tabs together. It will take several attempts on the TDI due to lack of space. On each side of the car one of my tabs broke.

The bulb and holder come out, and then just pull the bulb out and put the new one in.

Indicator bulbs - located via a separate chamber at the outer edge of the car. Held in place with a long bulb holder that has a "spade" on the end which you twist to release.

The back of the bulb holder can be accessed by twisting the cover off in an anti-clockwise direction. Be careful not to drop this. Once this cover is off you can reach inside the light and be able to feel a plastic "spade". Twist this (anti-clockwise I think) to release the bulb and holder. This needs some force so beware. You can look in the headlight from the front to see whether you're doing the right thing.

Once this is twisted then you can pull it out and put the new bulb back in - the holder is about 3 or 4 inches long. The bulb is a "push and twist" type.

The complete git is the driver's side. On initial inspection you'd think "no chance" because from one side the intercooler pipe is in the way, and the other side has the fuel pump in the way. But I have quite big hands and managed it - thin wrists tho!

the secret is to move any pipes / connectors as far out of the way as possible and also remove the rubber cover on the driver's side low beam. It gives some more space. With your left hand slip it down between the fuel pump and the reservoir tank, then reach to the cover of the indicator chamber. With your right hand slip this between the intercooler pipe and the headlight. With both hands on the cover you can just about turn it and remove it.

Then it's the case of the same process as the passenger side, but with a lot more care. You need strong fingers in order to twist the holder and the cover.

All 4 bulbs took me about an hour.

headlight bulbs

These are a royal pain in the arse. Again you will need to be quite dexterous and patient. Either loosen the fuel pump or overflow tank on the driver's side or prepare for skin loss!

The key for the headlight bulbs (dipped) is that the holder physically TWISTS before you can pull out the bulb. If you look closely you can see two small tabs on a circular holder that you twist (centred around the bulb) to release the bulb. The bulb will then simply pull out. Getting them back in on the driver's side is a big job mainly because the force needed to twist the holder back into position is quite high due to the flex of the plastic.

I believe the main beam is a bit easier as these are towards the centre of the grill - and the holder is a simple (the usual) wire one that needs to be squeezed / hooked out of the way.
Last edited by david burton on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hamish
Bronze Member

Re: 9N - changing bulbs guide

Post by Hamish »

david burton wrote:All 4 bulbs took me about an hour.
would it not have been quicker to take the bumper and headlights out :lol: :P
david burton

Post by david burton »

Hamish wrote:
david burton wrote:All 4 bulbs took me about an hour.
would it not have been quicker to take the bumper and headlights out :lol: :P
from start to finish? no. besides, if someone wants to do one bulb then a guide that says "take the bumper off" is hardly beneficial. :P
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

The big issue with the headlight bulbs is to take a very carefull note of the rotational position of the bulbs - especially one - sorry can't remember if it was the dip or main beam, otherwise you will end up trying to force it in while offering it up incorrectly. Not a very useful statement I'm afraid but it might save someone some time if heeded!
david burton

Post by david burton »

RUM4MO wrote:The big issue with the headlight bulbs is to take a very carefull note of the rotational position of the bulbs - especially one - sorry can't remember if it was the dip or main beam, otherwise you will end up trying to force it in while offering it up incorrectly. Not a very useful statement I'm afraid but it might save someone some time if heeded!
is that one of the bulbs with a single tab on it so it can only fit in one way? I've had a look on Powerbulbs and it looks like both main and dipped have a certain orientation.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

david burton wrote:
RUM4MO wrote:The big issue with the headlight bulbs is to take a very carefull note of the rotational position of the bulbs - especially one - sorry can't remember if it was the dip or main beam, otherwise you will end up trying to force it in while offering it up incorrectly. Not a very useful statement I'm afraid but it might save someone some time if heeded!
is that one of the bulbs with a single tab on it so it can only fit in one way? I've had a look on Powerbulbs and it looks like both main and dipped have a certain orientation.
Yes probably, it was just a bad memory but I remember thinking "now if only I had noted which way round this came out"! Lies at an angle I think - also as you said looking in through the lens lets you know what is going on.
jackthelad1990
Bronze Member

Post by jackthelad1990 »

cheers for this mate! helped me out!
Joe123
New

Post by Joe123 »

Hey,
was refered to your guide adn it helped me alot :) Cheers! :P

One 'tip' i would say to anyone, which i found helped me was to undo the screw found at the top of the head light and then pull the indicator section out, this then gives you another angle to work at as i found it too tight to get round to the headlight bulb on the passangers side as the battery is in the way :)

Anyway great guide/help mate :wink:
ihpj
Bronze Member

Post by ihpj »

Why struggle with these bulbs yourself? Under the VW Service Promise, they will fit all bulbs FoC:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/serv ... e/exterior

Top stuff :)
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

ihpj wrote:Why struggle with these bulbs yourself? Under the VW Service Promise, they will fit all bulbs FoC:

Their bulb range and prices suck though. Nothing like a bit of DIY.

Free wash....I wouldn't trust them any where near my paint!
emma_88
Gold Member
Drives: 6N2 Polo GTi & 9N3 Polo GTi

Post by emma_88 »

ihpj wrote:Why struggle with these bulbs yourself? Under the VW Service Promise, they will fit all bulbs FoC:

WTF, I didn't know about this!

My local Vw charged me £25 to change my sielight bulbs lol