Painting calipers?

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
gemmiella
New

Painting calipers?

Post by gemmiella »

Hey =]

I'm thinking of painting my calipers and I was wondering how hard/easy it is? I tried looking for a diy thing on here but i couldnt find one =[

So can anyone help? OH and a colour choice? My polo is white =]

Thanks
randomage
Silver Member

Post by randomage »

you want hammerite or some other heat resistant paint. as for getting the paint on the calipes, i have no idea!!!
Rupie
Bronze Member

Post by Rupie »

id be interested in doing this too, ive got a black polo and was thinking of doing them either black or red, red would look boss on a white polo 8)
you can get high temp paint from places like halfords in either a spray or a paint i think. spraying would obviouly require completely removing the caliper... painting you could probably do with a brush without too much dissasembaly? guess it depends on how well you want to do the job :lol:
id take the caliper off, get it masked up and spray it.
Josh_polo
Gold Member

Post by Josh_polo »

IMO it doesnt need to be done, breaks should only be red if they are brembros :lol:
gemmiella
New

Post by gemmiella »

i went into halfords even though i muchly hate the shop haha and bought some high temp paint. i bought red =] but now. well =/ its just sitting there waiting to be done...

ill possibly post some pics when ive done it =]
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

as i just came across this thread i did mine recently. think i used the wrong paint tho as it seems to be coming of the front calipers but not the rear drums..... havnt checked recently. all i did was jack my car up and take the wheel of then paint them with a brush on the colour. its only like a 5 minute job each one.
oh and i was thinking wat colour to go for either silver matt black or gloss black. went for matt black in the end. think they look nice.
gemmiella
New

Post by gemmiella »

kipper wrote:as i just came across this thread i did mine recently. think i used the wrong paint tho as it seems to be coming of the front calipers but not the rear drums..... havnt checked recently. all i did was jack my car up and take the wheel of then paint them with a brush on the colour. its only like a 5 minute job each one.
oh and i was thinking wat colour to go for either silver matt black or gloss black. went for matt black in the end. think they look nice.
what paint did you use??

I was going to attempt mine today but i dont know >.<

=]
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Halfords to specific caliper paint.

When i did mine, I painted them whilst they were still on. Mine were already red however, was just topping them up. For a more precise job you may want to remove them.

Make sure you use a brush, not spray. It creates a thicker coat
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

I'm going to give this a crack over the weekend. Will do a guide :)
gemmiella
New

Post by gemmiella »

well i just bought extreme high temp paint from halfords and just brushed it on with a tiny brush and it looks alright actually. i believe it will need another coat though tbh as it doesnt look as bright as anticipated =/

plus my car is ditched and looks like a fly funeral across my bonnet/mirrors/windscreen. so when clean i think it will look ace =]

next job. refurb alloys EEK!

x
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

did you give the calipers a good sand and clean before painting them?
gemmiella
New

Post by gemmiella »

clean... yes. sand. no =/ just cleany cleaned away

i didnt have much time tbh

prolly when they mess up ill do them properly >.<
x
MossadUK
New

Post by MossadUK »

I painted the calipers on my Golf MKIV with a paint from B & Q called Japlac. That was two years ago and it still looks as new. Great stuff.

A member of UKMKIV has provided a guide using Japlac if it helps:---

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/145934/969195.aspx
Hardcore
Silver Member

Post by Hardcore »

i sprayed mine red. the paint has never flaked, faded or anythink! and i used hammerite spray.

firts thing you gotta jack your car up. take wheels off. i tuck the disks and padds out. masked off the area i didnt want the paint to get to. coverd all the little parts up. gev um a scrubb as much as i could with a wire brush and a brillo pad. used a white primer. (not sure which one my dad had it in his garage) an then sprayed it red. just remember to do it carefully. people get carried away to spray loads one in one big go, and the paint runns. spray it so it goes like a really whitey red colour. let it dry. n then keep building it up in layers. all you gotta do is move the can pretty fast. takes about an hour topps to do about 5 layers. i did it whilst changing the disks o brembo groved, and EBC green stuff padds. so when its all done looks mint. obviously they get dirty with brake dust. but a bit of scrubbing with a tooth brush brings up straight back up again!

would show you some images but the cable from my fone to the comp is broke.
gemmiella
New

Post by gemmiella »

i didnt do anything like that

i just jacked my car up, took me wheel off cleaned em a bit and painted away with a brush and it looks alright =/

x