How to remove cigarette lighter and hard wiring

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
mikhal_fi
Getting There!

How to remove cigarette lighter and hard wiring

Post by mikhal_fi »

As a new member i have found this site very usful. Now the time has come to make my own contribution. Having had problems hard wiring things, i have managed to fine the solution. I found some info off a web site and this forum (a post from Josh_PoloGti).
Here you go:

If you look at the lighter plug you will notice a screw, this can be removed with a small screwdriver*, then unscrew the black cap where the terminals protrude. The plastic covering the switch should be removed, you should now be able to open up the lighter plug, inside you will find a small circuit board - this is needed to control the voltage to the LEDs so don't discard it. Make a note of which wire from the circuit is connected to the short round prong - this is the positive wire, the other wire attached to the wavey prong is the negative. You can extend these wires by joining some electrical wire onto them with a terminal block, or ideally resoldering new longer wires to the circuit board.

The cicuit board should then be protected with heatshrink tube, 20 - 25 mm heatshrink tube should be suitable. If you don't have heatshrink tube then electrical tape should be adequate. Make sure the switch on the cicuit board is set to the "on" position before sealing.

To find 12v in the car i suggest using the rear window heat switch.Positive = grey cable with blue line - = Brown cable.
If you wish to add a switch add it along the positive cable.

Hope this helps.