DIY Group/Club

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
yasslimz
New

DIY Group/Club

Post by yasslimz »

Hi

Just want to start and say what a great forum like most of the other established brand forums i.e Honda, BMW etc.

More to the topic I have been interested in cars (my fav Ferrari F40 childhood dream) almost all my life and one of my aims at some point is to buy the best 1 I can i.e the lastest Aston Martin, my ultimate is the Bugatti Veyron but I guess thats completely unrealistic. For this reason and the beauty of the net I was wondering if there are other people who are like me and with the passion would like to maybe meet up and try learn to fix, experiment with cars and try different things. I am talking maybe just a weekend thing.

I am currently a trader have driven/owned a few cars CivicPolo with 6n2 Body kit Leathers etc, VW Golf V5, Honda Civic Type R, Mazda RX8 and few others bought my first 10k car at 21 and have a reasonable knowledge when it comes to the brands, exterior mpgs, engine sizes, tax what are the most marketable etc. I am not very good under the bonnet and feel that any experience, obviously preferably with a mechanic would be priceless.

Getting quite sick of ringing up x person to fix a car and they just let me down 1) overcharge for simple work 2) Go back for similar problems. Its like when you buy a take away dont always know exactly what they put in. nothing like your own work.

Honestly would really appreciate some replys, am I alone?? :(
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Hiya mate.

Sorry to sound blunt, but what exactly are you asking?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I think hes asking if ppl want to like meet up, and all collaborate on ways to make some kinda of super car?
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

alexperkins wrote:I think hes asking if ppl want to like meet up, and all collaborate on ways to make some kinda of super car?
How that work out? we take a component out of each of our own cars and assemble this super car? Followed by setting up a time share scheme to share this car we make...? Just joking

The idea sounds interesting, I'd be up for it in the new year once my cars back on the road (should be around Jan/Feb) the experience to learn about mechanics as a team espeically on here would be fun, where would the meets be located if they where proceeded? I would travel abit out but not to far! More details are needed and maybe discussed in club house or meets section?
Silver Member

Post by 8080 »

On vagdrivers.net (Irish vw forum) they have tech days - 5 or 6 lads meet at one of their houses and they work together on each others cars, sharing tools etc. I hear it goes well, but it's hard to get somewhere to host it, only a few lads have lifts / pits
yasslimz
New

Post by yasslimz »

True says does all sound a bit wishy washy for now. Still at prelimary stages. I am based in Luton Bedfordshire or junction 10 of the M1. The idea is that
1) Find out if any1 is interested first and where they are based.
2) If within a reasonable distance then what kind of experience if any. If e.g a car enthusiast who does body kits etc. or mechanic is a bonus. If not then just the passion to learn I am sure that everyone will have something to offer. If noone knows how to do the work then we can get internet access.
ONCE I HAVE FOUND OUT OR PEOPLE REPLY THEN I/WE CAN TAKE IT FURTHER AND JUDGE UPON THE VIABILITY OF THIS/ WHETHER IT WILL WORK.
3) This is a weekend voluntary part time thing so dont worry no contracts or long shifts.
4) Cars, I am a trader so for example I have a VW Polo Sdi 04 plate that needs a starter motor so we can get our hands in that.

For now just would like to thank people that have viewed/ replied to this post and all feedback is much appreciated. Hope this helps
yasslimz
New

Post by yasslimz »

No we are not building a supercar, could hardly build a toy car. Its merely a case of a hands on part time experience in order to help car enthusiasts like me who would like to learn the basics of mechanics and share our passion.
As I have stated car enthusiasts with passion, will to learn not people that are not serious, cant be bothered etc. Also just the prelimary stages so once I get a better understanding
1) Where based
2) Experience if any
3) Can get hold of tools (If so would you be interested in others chipping in to share or if not what tools do you NOT have so me/someone else can buy them to get a bigger toolkit)
4) Any ideas of where we could meet. Not implying anyone takes responsibilty yet just any ideas.
If successfull so in about 6 mths a year maybe also people get to know eachother then we can plan ahead, consider taking on bigger projects or our options then.
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Sounds interesting, I'm always keen to learn so if it's in the right place at the right time. I'd be up for something.

I'm located either South Wales (jn 23a on the M4) or Stafford (jn13 M6)
polo-sib
Gold Member

Post by polo-sib »

Located in Dartford, junction 1 of M25 so its miles away :( but it does not mean that local meets might not appear here with the right amount of interest!
yasslimz
New

Post by yasslimz »

i guess so will just have to wait and see. if you guys have any ideas about meeting up or anything else then yeah feel free much appreciated.