6N - Golf Mk3 Handbrake

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

6N - Golf Mk3 Handbrake

Post by Polo96CL »

Seeing as I had done the seat conversion I thought it would only be right to show people how to put the handbrake on.

6N/Mk4 to Mk3 Golf Handbrake Conversion

The standard polo handbrake is very cheap in feel and its appearance of naff plastic doesn't really appeal. There are often leather alternatives (Golf Mk3 Colour Concept, VR6) which are nicer in looks and feel. You may also want to use this guide when replacing the handbrake due to worn ratchets (happens when you crank the handbrake up without pushing the button). It is also noted that the golf handbrake is chunkier and feels much more solid.

*IMPORTANT*

Put the car into a gear, we don't want to hear of you crashing because the car wasn't secure before you attempted this guide!

Firstly, remove the cover off the bottom of the handbrake. This is held in by three clips, all pop off using the flat screwdriver.

Now you will see two main cables holding a bar which secured a paddle. You will need two spanners of 11mm in size to separate these, one pulling tighter the other loosening. Once these are loose you will now be able to wind all four of the nuts (two are chunkier, two are small) to the end of the thread. Once they are near the end (don't take them off), its time to undo the two large nuts holding on the structure of the handbrake. Now unclip the micro switch on the side of the handbrake. Now turn the handbrake to the side and slide the paddle out of the bar. You will then have something that looks like this.

Now take your new handbrake from the golf and place the paddle into the bar. Once this is in, you have to reattach the two main nuts which bolt onto the car. You may find at this point you will need to pull the handbrake slightly to get the bolt threads to match up with the holes in the handbrake but it can be done, honest! Once they are on, tighten the two bolts up securely.

Next step it to tighten up the four nuts on the handbrake cables, you will have to make some adjustments to get the perfect lock on the lift (too much of the nuts tightened will cause you handbrake to lock with only the slightest lift). I found it was best to adjust it so the end of bolt on the end (the small one) was 4mm in off the end of the cable thread. This mean it took 4 ratchet clicks for the car to be fully secure.

Once tested and you are happy with the adjustments, simply reclip the cover back on and you're done!

jak_thrice
New

Re: 6N - Golf Mk3 Handbrake

Post by jak_thrice »

cool nice guide, now to go find me a nice leather handbrake!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Nice guide mate!
Dan 6N
Silver Member

Post by Dan 6N »

Cheers for the guide mate, I need to change my handbrake, mine's got some random paint on it from somewhere lol.
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

Post by Polo96CL »

Yeah defo worth getting a golf mk3 one if you can, the chunkier grip and button makes it much easier to use. Looks much better than the normal one anyway!
carlgannon
Getting There!

Post by carlgannon »

Would this fit, advert says its out of a MK3 golf GTI but it looks diffrent to the one in pics :?

...??