sound deadening

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
scott weave
New

sound deadening

Post by scott weave »

i was just wondering were the major places are to sound deaden on a mk4 polo

thanks

scott
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Re: sound deadening

Post by Tim_GTi »

The standard is:

Front doors,
Rear doors/Rear panels
Tailgate
All boot walls and floor

Then if you want to go further:

Roof
Floor
Bonnet

There really isn't much point in doing the front wings.
chris meardon
Silver Member

Post by chris meardon »

The order go's

1. Front Doors
2. Cab Floor
3. Boot and back of tailgate

then the rest of the car if you can afford it, i have the top 3 done and its more than enough, perfectly silent on the road and hardly any noise on the motorway
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Yeh i'd say anymore and your just carrying excess weight.
RandonGUY
Bronze Member

Post by RandonGUY »

What do you deaden it with?

:?
Brad.
Silver Member

Post by Brad. »

I was thinking exactly the same thing...
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

You can buy sheets them glue them in. Or there's also spray foam, which you basically spray in tight gaps, and the foam fills it out and sets. The sheets are Much more effective, the foam just for those hard to reach spots (pillars in the tailgate for example).
scott weave
New

Post by scott weave »

all sound deadend but carnt seem to get rid of a rattle in my boot anyone got any iders how to get rid of the rattle btw its a mk4

thanks

scott
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Where's the rattling coming from exactly? Have you tried the expanding foam into all the gaps?
tegwin
Gold Member

Post by tegwin »

Tim_GTi wrote:You can buy sheets them glue them in. Or there's also spray foam, which you basically spray in tight gaps, and the foam fills it out and sets. The sheets are Much more effective, the foam just for those hard to reach spots (pillars in the tailgate for example).
Just for future referance.. I would suggest that filling cavities in a car body with expanding foam are a bad idea... it traps moisture and will encourage corrosion(Rust)...It will also stop air circulating around through the vents under the car...

The rubber or b***h pads are usually the deadening of choice... of just turn the radio up :mrgreen:
scott weave
New

Post by scott weave »

hi mate turning it up would just deffen me mate i am running an spl set up i have got 2 orion 15" hcca each running of there own 5000 watt mono block amp 6 sets of comps its dem loud but just carnt get rid of the rattle it sounds like it coming from the back bumper

scott
-chris
New

Post by -chris »

think the OP wants to use sound deadening to reduce vibrations and rattles as a result from his sound system. Not too reduce noise coming from outside the car.

The best stuff I used was Dynamat Supalite. Stuck a a lot inside the front doors and on the surface under the front doorcards. I then played the subs up loud and took a walk around the outside of the car locating where other vibrations were coming from and took various panels off the inside of the car and sound deadened the actual panel and the part of the chassis the panel was covering. Its just working your way around finding vibrations and eliminating them one by one till there are none left.

I was running 2x ground zero 12" 800wrms subs and the dynamat stuff worked for them so it will be fine for your system.