6N Polo - 6N2 GTI Front Splitter

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

6N Polo - 6N2 GTI Front Splitter

Post by Polo96CL »

Mk5/6N2 GTI Front Splitter onto Polo MK4/6N

Another common modification to the 6N is the 6n2 GTI front splitter, visually chunkier and sits lower down than the standard splitter which gives the appearance of a lower car . It is made of the same material as the 6N splitter and can be sprayed. We will be attaching the splitter using self tapping screws. I have created this guide for a Mk4/6N 16v bumper, however it shouldn't be too difficult to apply this technique to an 8v bumper.

For this tutorial you will need the following:

Mk5/6N2 GTI Front Splitter
5x Self Tapping Screws
A Phillips Cross head or Posidrive Screwdriver
A Drill with Screwdriver drill bits
Snips/Stanley Knife
Sandpaper – Abrasive enough to wear plastic smooth

*Optional*
Axle stands/Trolley jack

FAQ.

Q. I have a 6N 8V bumper, can I fit the 6n2 GTI front splitter?
A. Yes it is possible as I've seen it done.

Q. I've seen other methods using cable ties or other fixtures, why should I do it this way?
A. This way is tried and tested, and the only alternative I would recommend is bolts and nuts.

Disclaimer - I do not take responsibility for any damage, injury or incidents that take place when you are following this guide to fit a Polo Mk5/6N2 GTI Front Splitter to your Polo Mk4/6N . It is up to you whether you decide to go ahead.

Be prepared to slice and dice your fresh new GTI splitter, take the snips or Stanley knife and cut off all of the clips on the splitter. These are located in red circles on the image below.

Now file these down so they are flush with the existing splitter line.

At this stage you may feel its helpful to jack up your car, as you're probably running a low car and trying to pop clips out of the old splitter with your face planted into the dirt isn't ideal. So if you have the option to put the front up on axle stands do so.

The old splitter is attaches by clips which pop out however to access these clips you will need to take out your grills, these are removed by pushing in the flat head screwdriver so it pops off. Next is removing the splitter, you will need a friend to help you here as one needs to pull down on the splitter while you take the flat head screwdriver and pop the clip off by pushing down. Rinse and repeat until the old splitter is off...

Once this is done you will need to test fit your new splitter, see how it stretches round the bumper and whether or not it needs more filing down. Once you think you've got it sorted you will have something that looks vaguely like this...

Now, using the points in the picture below, drill pilot holes in the splitter so the self tapping screws will go in easier. Options 1 & 2 are recommended, however they require you to drill into the splitters under tray. This should be fine, as you can't see these holes when on anyway!

Take the self tapping screws and screw them into the original bumper. Remember that you must get a friend to hold the splitter tight onto the car as you want to keep the ends of the splitter flush with the ends of the bumper. Starting from left to right, push round until complete.

Left and right side.

Sorted you're done!

6N2 GTI front splitter onto a Mk4/6N.

Finished result...

RandonGUY
Bronze Member

Re: 6N Polo - 6N2 GTI Front Splitter

Post by RandonGUY »

Great guide! :)

Do you think you will spray the black bit red?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

Another great guide sir!
polo_dude
Gold Member

Post by polo_dude »

For those looking for a part number: 6N0805903EB41
I think.

And great guide mate!
vw-po-low
Gold Member

Post by vw-po-low »

Looking awesome. Thats what i did for mine. But im in need of a new one. I've split it. Stupid 120mm drop on 13's lol.
ash man
Getting There!

Post by ash man »

nice.
Richibobs
New

Post by Richibobs »

Good guide mate!

Got mine on yesterday pretty easy, cheers!