6N Polo - 6N2 Steering Wheel Conversion

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Polo96CL
Platinum Member

6N Polo - 6N2 Steering Wheel Conversion

Post by Polo96CL »

Mk5/6N2 Steering Wheel onto Polo MK4/6N

Fed up with your bland, worn and tired looking Mk4/6N steering wheel? Then fit the Mk5/6N2 steering wheel which is a straight swap. For this guide the example steering wheel will be the 6N with Airbag.

*IMPORTANT*

I would like to stress at this point how vital is it to be careful with the Airbag equipment. Remember you are working with rigged charges on the Airbags and it is essential that no hard knocks or force is used when handling them. The last thing I would want is for someone to be injured by not following the guide correctly.

For this tutorial you will need the following:

Mk5/6N2 Steering Wheel WITH Airbag
A Phillips Cross head or Posidrive Screwdriver
Hex/Allen keys
Adjustable spanner

*Optional Recommended*
Rubber Gloves

FAQ.

Q. I have a 6N without an Airbag, can I fit one with the 6N2?
A. Yes from my research it seems possible as the loom exists.

Q. I have a 6N2 GTI Steering Wheel, can this fit too?
A. Yes this will fit also, only difference is leather and red stitching.

Disclaimer - I do not take responsibility for any damage, injury, death or incidents that take place when you are following this guide to fit a Polo Mk5/6N2 Steering Wheel and Airbag to your Polo Mk4/6N . It is up to you whether you decide to go ahead.

Be sure that your wheels are straight, it would be very disappointing to get all the way to the end only to find when your wheel is on that it is in the wrong direction. Also its worth noting that before attempting this tutorial, that you make sure you have any codes for OEM head units or audio equipment as the settings will not be saved when the battery is disconnected.

First step is to disconnect any electrical connections to the car battery. Preferably wearing the rubber gloves, UNDO THE NEGATIVE (Black) FIRST then undo the Positive (Red). This prevents the chassis from having anything to do with the battery, then your spanner can be round the positive and touch the chassis with no ill effects. Once the Negative is off (2), move the lead away from the battery as possible (to stop it bouncing back on completing a circuit on the terminal) then disconnect the Positive (1). Remove the Nut which is circled in red on the diagram below and remove the battery away from the car to somewhere dry and out of direct sunlight.

Now, start the ignition and leave it on for 10 minutes. This will drain away any excess power which is stored in the capacitors, then leave for another 30 minutes with the ignition off to be safe.

The steering wheel on your Mk4/6N is the first to be removed, start by getting the correct size Hex/Allen key and remove the two bolts at the rear of the wheel (Red rings). The will allow the airbag to drop out, be sure to hold the front in case it falls out remember we don't want any chance of the bag blowing out.

You will notice that the Airbag and horns are attached by two wires, again being very carefully, pop out the Airbag wire (yellow plug, Red ring) and the horn (black spade connector, Green ring). You will have something that looks like this.

Now take the adjustable spanner and remove the center hex bolt. This is very stiff so don't be afraid to give it some to get it loose. The wheel will now be loose, remove the 3 screws which are Star fitment which are located in the diagram below in Red rings.

The Steering wheel will now pull off, be sure to collect the screws as you will need them later and watch carefully as you need to thread the horn and Airbag wire out. You will be left with the center thread on its own. The image below is a bit out of focus, but all its showing you is the center bore thread with the Airbag coil casing.

Ok, so now you're left with the parts of their own. Take the 6N2 Steering Wheel and place it onto the hub. I'd advise greasing up the rear of the Airbag Coil Casing so you don't get any rubbing noises. Make sure the Airbag and the horn wires are threaded through the new wheel, these are labelled below 1 being the Airbag wire and the 2 being the horn wire.

Screw in the 3 Star shaped screws, and bolt on the center nut tightly. All that is left now is to put the airbag on. Carefully picking it up, take the metal ring (shown in diagram below in red) and push it into the guides around the plastics (shown in Green).

Connect up the Airbag and the horn wire, the first is the same as the old steering wheel and simply pops in the clip. The horn is a spade connection which slides onto the tab. Now, being gentle just push the airbag onto the mounts on the wheel. You will hear a satisfying click as the springs and metal tabs lock onto the tabs on the steering wheel.

Push it all the way on and the Airbag will be fully secure. Now you need to reconnect the battery up. Pick up the battery and place it onto the battery tray. Remember to connect the positive terminal first, and then the negative. Tighten the clamps with the adjustable spanner. Bolt on the screw which pins the battery down, it will now be secure.

Time to see whether your hard work has been worth it, tick the car over with your body and head away from the Airbag. If its worked, you will have successfully changed the cheap feeling 6N Wheel to the nicer more modern 6N2 Wheel. Here are some pictures of the final results...

ticki
Sponsor

Re: 6N Polo - 6N2 Steering Wheel Conversion

Post by ticki »

Excellent guide mate.

I wonder if there is any way to prevent the Airbags firing using VAG COM? Would be interesting
ticki
Sponsor

Post by ticki »

I am struggling to release the clips on my 6n2 steering wheel. Can anyone help please?

thanks
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

ive been struggling to mate, taking it to the garage tomorow lol, cannot be botherd with it!
Tubthumper
New

Post by Tubthumper »

I know this is an old post but I think it's worth a mention that the later 6N (I call it a 6n1.5!) with the dials for the temp and fuel located top-center of the binnacle, has a slip ring and a metal contact to the indicator stalk assembly for the horn. I'm not sure what difference this will make to the fitting as this spade connection you mention may not exist, but I intend to find out when I try this!