simple repair of a cracked bumper or other plastic part

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

simple repair of a cracked bumper or other plastic part

Post by polo2k »

for once this post will be short as i am only going to cover the repair (if you would like to know how to remove the damaged part or paint it then please im me and ill try to do a post )
ok then you will need some simple tools and some time thats all, oh and some fiber glass
firstly you need to prepare the rear of the damage with some 80 grit paper (dry sanded) to give the fiberglass somthing to key to. then create an inpenatrable barrier so you dont get too much fiberglass on the outside of the pannel
duct tape does the job as does masking tape.
then on the back side (prepared side) apply fibre glass it dosent have to be neat
please note the use of a breeze block to keep the crack shut
after this please wait for the glass to harden and refinish the paint and refit your panel
hayesey
Silver Member

fibre glass

Post by hayesey »

where can u buy fibre-glass from?? does it come as a solid sheet or is it a liquidy type stuff that hardens after u mould it to shape???

nice use of a breeze block there, at 1st i thought ur repair method was going to be "tw@t it with a breeze block" :lol:
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

rofl i dont hate the a class that muck (well ok i do) but i think a pebble would kill the a lass bumper
as for the fibre glass any automotive factors should carry it or possibly the likes of halfors and charlie browns
it comes in different forms but the one that is most use here is the matting which is sold as;
a sheet of woven strands of glass (each like a human hair in thickness)
and some resin and hardner
the matting its self comes in 2 mail forms;
neat weave which means its all woven in a neat grid and can be had in fine or corse
and another type that i cant really describe exept to say that its all higgly-de-piggledy (any one wanna help on that :? ) any of these will do but a little tip for you when working with fibreglass is that you should wear gloves and to get the matting to form to the contours you want impregnate it with resin first and then place the sheet on the palm of one hand and place your other palm over ity then allpy light pressure and move your hands in small circles, this helps to loosen up the weave and follow the contours better.
as for the resin its pretty standard stuff which is mixed with a bpo hardener (usually) and the ratio depends on the make so please read the destructions ( :P ) first
oh and for your safty please wear a mask or you`ll be coughing for days