How to install a switch in the centre console

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Mike1990
New

How to install a switch in the centre console

Post by Mike1990 »

I was going to put a switch in the centre console next to the window switches, so i wrote a guide with pictures.

Tools needed

- Torx drill bit
- Couple of wire connector blocks
- Spare power wire
- Drill
- Wire strippers
- Flathead screw driver

Removing the centre console

To get the console off, get the flat head screw driver and slightly pull off the heater blowers. There will be 2 torx screws on both sides of the heater blowers at the top, unscrew them. Then get the flat head screw driver and pull the heater dials off, they should come off easy

That should reveal 4 torx screws around the heater dials, unscrew them. Then take out the headunit and disconnect all the wires from the back of the headunit. Take out the blank switches, they will come off easy. Then take out the hazard switch and the window demister switch, use the screw driver and pull it out then disconnect the switches.

Then take out the ashtray and pull the centre console towards you, it might be abit resistant but it will come out. Once you have it slightly off, disconnect the 2 window switches and the cigarette lighter and the centre console should come fully out.

Switch installation and extending the power wire

Take out the blank panel from the centre console inbetween the window switches, then use a hole drill bit and drill the hole for the switch, you might have to use a file to make sure it fits perfectly. Once you have the switch fitted into the blank plate, connect the switch up using a connector block.

Then you need to cut the positive and ground that are running from your battery to the switch that needs extending and strip the wires and put a connector block on the wire, then get the spare power wire and strip it and connect it to the connector block that you just wired up. Use a fuse holder and a 5amp fuse to connect inline with the power wire from the battery.

Find a place in the centre console to put the wires you have just extended through for the switch, then connect it to the connector block on the switch.

Then test the switch make sure everything is working, and disconnect the connectors from the switch. Then put the centre console back in place and connect the window switches, cigerette lighter, hazard lights and window demister switches. Then feed the wires to the switch and connect it, then push the blank plate back into place. Then put the centre console back together, screwing the torxs in and put the heater dial cover back on then the heater blowers and the blank switches.

The finished look

I connected footwell neons to the switch, but you can wire any 12v source.

I hope you like my first guide

Thank you
Mike