B&Q NumberPlate Bracket for Smoothed Bumpers

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

B&Q NumberPlate Bracket for Smoothed Bumpers

Post by Tim_GTi »

Smoothed your bumpers and don't know what to do with the numberplate? this is the guide for you 8)

Firstly just stating that this is not my original idea. It is an adaptation of Haris' plate mod.

In total (paint excluded) these brackets will cost you around £20. expensive, but this does provide you with adequate equipment to make two sets of them. So buddy up, or just sell a set on!

This is what you'll need. Everything here is available from B&Q:

2X 65mm Corner Brace (4 per pack)

2X 75mm Corner Brace (4 per pack)

2X M4 Nylon Lock Nuts (10 per pack)

2X M4 Bolts (10 per pack)

4X Flat Head 1" Long Screws

4X Black Screw Cap Covers

Foam Tape

Heavy Duty Velcro (the 50mm X 100mm stuff)

Paint. I used metal primer, Satin Black from Halfords, and Halfords clear Laquer. You can use what you want.

Step 1.
Hack the corner braces. Here is a picture of both sized braces cut down, next to both sized standard braces. Exact measurements for the cut etc will differ according to each car, I'd recommend reading through the whole thread so you understand exactly how it works so you can work out how long yours need to be.

Step 2.
Tape up one side of the small corner brace using the foam tape like so:

Step 3.
Using the M4 bolt and and nylon lock bolt, fasten up a 65mm brace with a 75mm brace, with the foam tape sandwiched in the middle:
The tape isn't visable when the bolt is tightened up fully. and just cut away any excess.

Step 4.
Repeat the above for a second bracket, so now you have two:
At this point, you need to saw off the excess thread of the bolts, as they can catch on the bumper. I didn't find this out until after finishing the brackets.

you will also need to trial fit these at this point, and make any neccessary bends in the metal previous to painting to get the plate to sit flush.

Step 5.
Prep the metal for paint by sanding it down. And tape up the ends of the 75mm bracket as pictured.
This should be taped up according to where you place your velcro, as the velcro will stick better to bare metal rather than painted.

Step 6.
Paint. I applied roughly 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of black, and 4 coats of laquer. Sanding down with wet 1200 grit inbetween coats where necessary.
you want to make sure you apply a good few coats, as it's likely to chip if not (being at the front of your car!)

That's all the making done. Here's what you need to be left with:

Two brackets painted, with the rough side of velcro stuck to them.
Two soft sides of the velcro to go on your numberplate.
4 flat head screws, to connect your brackets to the grill on your car.
4 flathead screw covers, to hide the screws and keep everything looking nice.

Fitting them to the car, there's 3 plastic strips behind the grill that you can drill them straight into.

Pics when mounted:

NOTE: it isn't neccessary to buy two different size corner braces (65mm & 75mm), it is possible to do this by using 4 65mm bracekts. HOWEVER, the plate will not sit flush with the bumper, it will stick out a fair bit more.

Hope this helps 8)
chrisjames
Silver Member

Re: B&Q NumberPlate Bracket for Smoothed Bumpers

Post by chrisjames »

Good guide 8)

Where did you get your plates from btw?
Tim_GTi
Post Whore

Post by Tim_GTi »

chrisjames wrote:Good guide 8)

Where did you get your plates from btw?
off eBay mate, 'embossed metal plates' or something. not sure if they do them anymore though due to the new laws. So it may have to be a Dubmeister job! (another 10 quid)
chrisjames
Silver Member

Post by chrisjames »

Yeah thats cool

I have 2 pairs of pressed plates. Your ones look really good quality thats all. Better than mine. :wink:
ash man
Getting There!

Post by ash man »

nice car, it looks really smart and i like the look the small gap between the reg and the bumper creates.