9N/9N3 Boot Light

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
MGrove03
Bronze Member

9N/9N3 Boot Light

Post by MGrove03 »

PART NUMBERS (According to polo9n.info):

1x 6Q0 947 415 Boot Light
1x 3B0 972 702 Boot Light Plug
1x 000 979 019 Repair Wire For Boot Light Plug

1x 1J0 973 303 Adapter Plug
1x 1J0 973 333 Adapter Plug
3x 000 979 019 Repair Wire
3x 000 979 132 Repair Wire

YOU WILL ALSO NEED:

Wire (1mm²)
Solder & Soldering Iron
Shrink Tubing (For covering your soldered connections)
Wire Cutters

MAKING THE ADAPTER

this image shows how the adapter is made basically you have two different plugs either end (a male plug and a female plug represented by the orange squares at the top and bottom), the part numbers for these are shown on the diagram beside the orange blocks. Now the person that made this picture and guide did not have central locking on their car and therefor only has 3 wires going from one plug to the other.

You are better connecting all 5 pins on the male plug to the corresponding pin on the female plug (there should be 5 pins all together)

So :
pin 1 on the male plug goes to pin 1 on the female plug (the pin 1 connection is bigger than the rest and requires a different wire to connect more on this later)
pin 2 on the male plug goes to pin 2 on the female plug
pin 3 on the male plug goes to pin 3 on the female plug

etc etc

you will connect these pins with 2 types of "repair wire" (as vw call them, again a male and female connection). The repair wires will come with the same connector on either end so if you get 2 of repair wire '000 979 019' and 2 of repair wire '000 979 132' you can cut them in half and this will give you 4 of each connector. (I forget which part number is male and which is female. The image above shows which wire goes into which plug)

Now as i said earlier pin 1 is larger than the rest so requires another 2 types of repair wire (male and female) where the connections on these are slightly wider than the rest.
Unfortunately i do not have a part number for these repair wires. But my VW parts department were very helpful and managed to find one of each repair wire in their "wire box". If you take the connector plug into your local VW parts department im sure they would be able to find the repair wire for pin 1 of this connector block. You will only need 1 of each wire.

Now as you did with the other wires you will be cutting these in half as you will only need 1 male connection and 1 female connection.

Now this is where the soldering comes in!

So now you have 5 repair wires with male connections (with one being slightly bigger for Pin 1) and 5 repair wires with female connections (again with one being slightly bigger for Pin 1)

You need to solder together a male repair wire with a female repair wire. This way it makes 1 wire with a male connector at one end and a female connector at the other (and these will go into the corresponding male and female plugs). You will do this with all the repair wires. These will thenconnect into the corresponding plugs as shown in the image at the top.

And that is the adapter made! Making this adapter basically means that the boot light can be taken back out and there is no damage to the original wiring in the car.

MAKING THE PLUG TO GO INTO THE BOOT LIGHT

The plug is show on the right of the following image

This part is simple you have a plug (part number 3B0 972 702) and 1 repair wire (part number 000 979 019). Take the repair wire and cut it in half. This gives you 2 bits of wire with a connection on one end. These two wires are then connected into the plug.

Now if you connect the plug into the boot light and turn the light so it is sitting upwards as shown in the picture above the wire at the top is the 12v wire you will need to know this later so mark this wire somehow so you know and unplug it from the light again.

CONNECTING THE BOOT LIGHT PLUG TO THE ADAPTER

Now this is where you need to run long lengths of cable as the adapter is fitted to the original wiring on the left side of the boot and the light is clipped on the bracket at the right side of the boot so go to halfords (or some sort of electrical store) and buy some 1mm² wire. Now the 12v wire as mentioned above needs to be connected/soldered to another 12v supply using the the 1mm² wire you have just bought. Personally i took mine from the 12v plug in the ashtray at the front of the car.

And the other wire coming from the plug that connects to the boot light needs to be connected/soldered to the wire running between pins 5 on the adapter you made earlier.

As said these wires will need to be some length as they will be running the length of your boot

Ok so now you have your adapter made, you have connected the boot light plug to a 12v source and also connected the boot light plug to your adapter. So now to fit the adapter to the original wiring.

FITTING THE ADAPTER TO ORIGINAL WIRING

Now open your boot and pull away the felt carpet on the left hand side of the boot (above the wheel arch) and this will reveal something like this

You may have slightly more wires than in this picture due to central locking for your boot etc but that doesn't matter. basically you want to find the corresponding plugs that will fit into your adapter.
These connector blocks are kept in place by a strip of plastic that is connected to the metal of the car. The connectors can just simply be pulled towards you to release them from the strip. If i remember correctly it was the connectors at the bottom of the strip that fitted but i may be wrong.

Basically once you have pulled the connector block from this plastic strip you want to take the connector block apart as shown in the picture above. You will then plug these into your adapter that you have made.

Now that your adapter is connected you can plug the boot light plug back into the light itself and if everything has been done correctly the light should illuminate :)

And that's you done!

If you wish once you have connected your adapter to the original wiring you can try and put the connector plugs back on the plastic strip to tidy it up like so

Hope this helps :)
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Re: 9N/9N3 Boot Light

Post by blazeguarder »

Excellent guide mate, just got around to doing this job today and it really helped me out :D
I didn't bother making the adaptor though, just spliced into the wire running from pin 5 of the original connector. I thought that if I was cutting into the original wiring to get a 12V supply I might as well do it for the second connection.
Would recommend this mod though, really useful thing to have!
StringsOnFire
New

Post by StringsOnFire »

any chance someone could put the images up?

thanks
m4tty1
New

Post by m4tty1 »

images anyone ?
KALARADO
New

Post by KALARADO »

Been thinking of doing this for ages. Please re-load photos :)