9n DeWiper Guide

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
CharlesK
Bronze Member

9n DeWiper Guide

Post by CharlesK »

Decided to De-wiper my 9n yesterday, and seeing as I couldn't find a guide, decided just to go for it, so here's how I did mine.
This guide can probably be applied to other Polos, but the details will be different

Tools Needed:
-25mm grommet (£1.80 Halfrauds special!)
-10mm socket or spanner to remove wiper motor
-13mm spanner to remove wiper arm from motor
-Heavy duty cable tie, and some sort of bung
-Small dab of silicone

First thing, you need to remove the bootlid cover. This is simply help on my two screws hidden inside the handles
Once these are out, just give the whole cover a tug and the tabs should release

This will give you access to the wiper motor, and wires/hoses.
Now you want to turn to the outside of the boot, and lift the small cover hiding the 13mm retaining nut

Once this is done, the wiper arm should slide off, although mine took alot of wiggling to free

You are now left with a small shaft poking out.
Continue to remove the 3 10mm nuts holding the wiper motor. Then disconnect the wiring plug from the motor, and the washer hose.
Remove the rubber sleeve from the glass, and store all these together incase the wiper needs to be put back on.

Now this is probably the most important step, making sure the washer hose wont fill your boot with water!
First, kink the hose, I used a pair of pliers to make sure, then using a thick cable tie, tied it back on itself

For a bung, I used an old small paintbrush I happened to notice lying in the garage. I firmly pushed this into the hose, tested it for water tightness and then trimmed the brush down. You could use a little silicone at this stage to ensure nothing leaks, but I didn't need to.

Now to tackle the hole in the glass. First I removed all the crap around where the old sleeve was, I found T-Cut worked perfectly in getting rid of the old ring left by the sleeve. Before and after shot

Then, place the grommet in the hole, its not a tight fit, hence the need for silicone. I liberally applied it all around the inside, nothing should get through this

And from the outside.
Now its just a case if installing the bootlid cover. Simple job to do, took about 30 minutes, and looks great.

Please Note: I will not take responsibility for any damamge caused to your car, this is a guide only.
tomtom-03
New

Re: 9n DeWiper Guide

Post by tomtom-03 »

For stopping the washer jet hose from filling your boot you may find it easier to disconnect the hose at a join in the bonnet, there is a suitable one below the battery just before the pipe goes through the bulkhead :)

Tom
ali123
Getting There!

Post by ali123 »

tomtom-03 wrote:For stopping the washer jet hose from filling your boot you may find it easier to disconnect the hose at a join in the bonnet, there is a suitable one below the battery just before the pipe goes through the bulkhead :)

Tom
You would need to take out your airbox though
davey-boi
New

Post by davey-boi »

What a great diy guide. I cant believe how much that cleans up the rear of the car, i didnt realise how big and bulky the rear wiper looks on my car until i saw your diy blank for it, i think im going to have a go at this :)

No trouble with regards to damaging the window when putting a socket/spanner onto the wiper arm?
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

Thanks :) Really easy mod to do, costs next to nothing too and really tidies the rear of the car up.

And no, there's a sleeve the the wiper shaft runs in between that and the glass, can't see how you could damage it really
BennoGTi
Silver Member

Post by BennoGTi »

I followed this guide and had it done in about 30 mins, very easy to follow good job :)

The 9N3 pipe is different though, its not flexible rubber, more like moulder plastic so it wont bend over to be cable tied

I just disconnected it in the engine bay instead
CharlesK
Bronze Member

Post by CharlesK »

You shouldnt need to replace the motor. As long as the wiper arm comes off of the shaft. That's probably the hardest part.
You dont need to put silicone on the grommet, it'll be fine without. I just did it to be safe.
The plug will be fine hanging, but it'd be better to just cable tie it to something to stop it flopping about (: