9N/9N3 Boot Delock Guide

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
blazeguarder
Gold Member

9N/9N3 Boot Delock Guide

Post by blazeguarder »

This guide is intended to explain how to delock the tailgate of a 9N/9N3. The lock mechanism on cars with the delocked handle already fitted is different to cars with the standard handle, and the design of the delocked handle means that the handle cannot be used alongside the existing mechanism without modification. There are two options:
1) To grind down the lock barrel until it fits - obviously this is irrreversible.
2) To retrofit the entire new mechanism from a higher spec car. It is pretty much a direct replacement but some wiring work is required.
The part numbers required for this are:
  • Delocked handle: 6Q6 827 565 H GRU - £35-40
    Metal bracket: 6Q6 827 601 F
    Connecting rod: 6Q6 827 515 C - £1.50
    Wiring plug: 1J0 973 702 - £1.50
    Microswitch: 1T0 962 103 A
I don't know the price of all the parts required, as I sourced most of the mechanism from a breakers yard.

This guide will explain how to retrofit the new mechanism.

The Mechanism

Basically, when you pull on the handle, a microswitch (the black component with the black wiring plug connected to it) is activated. This causes the white component (solenoid?) to extend an arm, which connects with the metal lever fitted to the rear of the lock barrel. This then causes the lever to pivot, which pulls on the lever at the bottom of the photo and releases the lock. Cars with the delocked handle fitted as standard clearly don't have a lock barrel, so this mechanism cannot be used.

Removal

1) Undo the two screws holding the tailgate interior panel in place and pull to remove it.
2) Disconnect the two wiring plugs to the solenoid and the microswitch.
3) Pull down on the connector rod between the lock barrel and the lock body to disconnect it. It is easier to do this on the lock body side.
4) Remove the lock barrel by removing the split pin holding it in place.
5) Remove the 4 Torx screws holding the metal bracket in place.
6) Pull the handle out of the tailgate from the outside.

You should then be left with this:Image

The Wiring

The original plug that connects to the microswitch has three wires, whereas the plug to the new microswitch has only two. Pins 1 and 2 are the same, but you need to lose the wire in Pin 3 (brown/white). You can remove the pins from the plug and refit them, but I just used a repair wire to splice the new connector on. This means that the old mechanism can be easily refitted. Image

Fitting the New Mechanism

The new mechanism is pretty much a direct replacement of the old one, so it is quite self explanatory. Don't forget to fit the old solenoid onto the new metal bracket. Mine's black because I got most of the mechanism from a breaker, but it is exactly the same. When fitted, it should look like this: Image
TOP TIP: You can test that the mechanism works by pushing the latch shut with a finger and then pulling on the handle. This means that if you've done it wrong then you aren't locked out of the boot!

Assuming all has gone to plan, you should now have gone from this: Image

to this: Image

Hope this is of use to others. If anyone needs a helping hand, feel free to send a PM.
Wooly_9n
Getting There!

Re: 9N/9N3 Boot Delock Guide

Post by Wooly_9n »

Great guide, going to have a go on mine.

Just rang up VW on prices:

Metal bracket - £31.78
Connecting road - £1.54
Wiring Plug - £2.46
Microswitch - £20

Ouch!
rover220
Gold Member

Re: 9N/9N3 Boot Delock Guide

Post by rover220 »

Mines already delocked!