Polo 9N Door Handle & Lock Bolt

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
DirtyPolo9N
New

Polo 9N Door Handle & Lock Bolt

Post by DirtyPolo9N »

I need some advice on trying to fix my lock after someone broke into my 9N after forcing the lock.

I have bought a de-locking kit, which is essentially a blank metal plate that replaces the lock assembly, but in order to fit it you have to remove the old lock unit by undoing a torx bolt through a hole in the side of the door. Unfortunately i undid this bolt too much, causing it to fall inside the door!

To recover it i had to remove the door card, but the bolt head is too big for it to go through the hole in the door and can only be positioned from the bottom up with your hands behind the door card! I don't have hands like an alien and can't get the bolt back in position to re-tighten it!

If you know how to get this bolt in the right position or of any tutorials showing how to do it please let me know.

Thanks
GTi_Red
Silver Member

Re: Polo 9N Door Handle & Lock Bolt

Post by GTi_Red »

Now that screw is out remove the lock and handle but note where the cable is as when you refit it if its too tight the handle won't work properly, it's usually about central

In the plate behind the door trim there is two big circle holes with a rubber flap, open them and putt the window down until you can see the bolts through the hole

Undo these but only until you are able to move the glass up by hand. Tape the glass up to the top of the door frame

Now undo the bolts on the latch and the torx screw holding the inner part of the exterior handle to the door skin

Remove the speaker to get you're hand inside to find the screw

Undo the bolts going all the way around the plate that's behind the door and then you should be able to pull the plate back enough to get your hands to that inner part of the exterior handle. The lost screw goes on the end of this. Fix the inner handle back tho the door skin

When refitting the outer handle you need to make sure the hook part of the handle is hooked on the fork on the inner handle. If you have trouble getting the handle on the fork, an easy way to do it is to get something that you can hold the fork in the open position with (right angled pick) and while holding the fork out put the lock piece in, tighten the screw in the side of the door then while still holding the fork out undo the screw in the side of the door only until the lock can be removed. Then the fork should stay in the open position making it easy to fit the handle and will pop back in once the screw in the side is tightened

Hope this helps