6N - Fitting bonnet struts

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
simon pope
Bronze Member

6N - Fitting bonnet struts

Post by simon pope »

Here is a quick guide on fitting bonnet stuts to a mk4 polo, i personally think they look better than that silly black arm you get as standard.

Step 1: 1 set of super charged bonnet struts required £23.00 inc of postage from www.volksbits.com

Step 2: Each strut should have two threaded bolts one has a self tapped end and the other should have a fine threaded end,two washers and two clips.

Step 3: Once the bonnet is up you will see at the back of the engine bay nearest the wind screen the arm that fixes the bonnet to the car, there are two bolts either side, undo the bolt nearest the front of the car and replace with the fine threaded bolt.

Step 4: Now on the wing there should be 4 bolts that holds the wing to the car, using the 2nd bolt down as a guide measure apprx 40mm down(towards the bonnet) and mark with a centre punch.

Step 5: Now drill a pilot hole through both skins of the wing just large enough for you to screw the self tapping bolt in, now connect the struts to the bolts, JOB DONE, any problems contact me on 07763689621
hayesey
Silver Member

strutin ur stuff

Post by hayesey »

on mine i only needed to drill a hole on the left hand side. on the right hand side I just took out the original wing bolt & put the new bolt (with the ball on it) into that. had to drill the left tho' cos the 2nd bolt down is in a different place for some reason.

this is the way richard at venom told me to do it wen i bought them. on golfs & stuff theres no drilling involved cos u can take out wing bolts on both sides.
simon pope
Bronze Member

Post by simon pope »

i have a non vw wing i thnk the car was in a smash at some point!!!!
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

i had rear boot lifts on mine, although wing bolt is a different size
to the ball bolt