6N - fitting mk5 lights (update with pics)

Post Instructions on DIY modifications here - use all information with caution!
david burton
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Re: 6N - fitting mk5 lights (update with pics)

Post by david burton »

just a large self tapper I think! I was trying to upload pics to my server but FTP seems to be down. Sorry.

edit: it worked now, http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 585#p34585
omricn
Getting There!

Post by omricn »

very important question here.... :!:

i am about to fit red (mk5) rear lights on my 6n, this thread is amazingly understandable BUT, and it's a big BUT:
my polo is left handed, my reverse light is originaly located on the right, and my fog light is on the left, SO.. what changes should i take to consideration in order for the swap to be right?
from other left handed polo owners i understood that they had the same problems as right handed when fitting the mk5 light on their 6n's- flickering of the lights on the right side, it seems that both right and left handed polo's have the same problem when fitting the lights - the right one is the problematic.
one more thing, the mk5's lights have a clear reverse part on the right light, where it should be.

p.s. if i'm wrong about this correct me - the reverse light on UK 6n's is on the left and the fog is on the right, right? (opposite to mine)

**edit**
now that i looked at the manual again i noticed that infact the only change being made is the switching between indicator and brake lights, on both sides, so again - correct me if i'm wrong - there should'nt be any differance for me fitting the lights as the manual describes, the reverse and fog's are not being touched at this proccess ( :?: )
david burton

Post by david burton »

For UK law the fog light must be at least on the offside light cluster. Looking from the back this is the RHS. As you say this is the clear lens on the hella lights (they are made for LHD cars only) but to get around this I put a RED bulb in the RHS cluster and left the wiring alone. For the UK spec cars the fog light feed goes to the RHS cluster and therefore this worked fine with the wiring in this guide which just moves the indicator. The only downside was a red reverse light due to the red reflector in the LHS cluster but that wasn't really a big deal and it's not needed for an MOT anyway.

You haven't stated whether you are from the UK? Basically all you need to do if the fog light ends up on the wrong side is to either switch to a red blub or move the fog light feed to the other side which is simple enough if you have a multimeter - just needs wires running from one cluster to the other and a connector block or soldering.
omricn
Getting There!

Post by omricn »

hey tnx for the reply mate, i actually think that the wiring described in the guide only changes the indicator and brake lights, and not relating to the fog or reverse light, so i think i'll give the guide a go and if i'll have any problems (i honestly don't believe i will) i'll know who to ask! :wink:

oh and by the way i'm from israel :wink:
mcvw
New

Post by mcvw »

Just wanted to say thank you - as I replaced my mk4 stock rear lights for mk5 (all-red) versions.

Followed the guide to the letter and everything went like a dream :)
omricn
Getting There!

Post by omricn »

i'm about to fit the rear 6n2 lights on my 6n, only one question regarding the right light adjustmment:
in the guide it says to switch numbers 4 and 5, Image
does that mean that the 2 left wires in the picture (brown and green\gray) need to be switched around? or does it refer to the 2 right wires on the picture witch had been changed just like in the left light?
from what i understood the same changes are made in both of the lights + the plug lugs slicing in the right light.
if indeed the brown and green\gray wires need to be swithced, what is the outcome?
and how to switch them? do i just pull them from the plug?

edit** : in my car the brown wire is at the same spot as in the picture, at the number 5 socket in the plug, just leave it there?
Last edited by omricn on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
VWking
Getting There!

Post by VWking »

Yer just leave the brown one, that is the earthing wire!
omricn
Getting There!

Post by omricn »

oki doki mate :) tnx
omricn
Getting There!

Post by omricn »

fitted! :D 8) pics soon
dori mat
New

Post by dori mat »

i've just got a set of 6n2 rear lights for my 6n but the bulb holders have 3 plugs not 1 like this guide :?

are there different bulb holders ?
david burton

Post by david burton »

Pictures?
Stancenation
New

Post by Stancenation »

Works a treat, nice write up
tucker_tr3
New

Post by tucker_tr3 »

dori mat wrote:i've just got a set of 6n2 rear lights for my 6n but the bulb holders have 3 plugs not 1 like this guide :?

are there different bulb holders ?
I've just bought some 6N2 all Red rear lights on eBay and they also have the 3 plugs! How do I wire these to my 6N?
Please help, I am worried I may have blown my money on this one! :oops:
KlassMC
New
Drives: 6n1

Post by KlassMC »

Hi, I recently passed my test and was given a 1996 (p-reg) polo. I have made a few basic mods, but I am just wondering if other things from the 6n2 are interchangeable with the 6n1 ie gearbox/clutch/interior/etc if you could help or point me to any threads, I would appreciate it. Thanks
KlassMC
New
Drives: 6n1

Post by KlassMC »

Oh I forgot to mention the gearbox just went on it and wonder if I can use one from a 6n2 - I may just buy a 6n2 donor car and use gearbox, clutch and interior if poss so any help would be welcomed. Thanks