Known/common faults

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

took it to garage today.. apparently its meant to be clicking.. its just the radiator cooling down, one of my friends has an RS4 and it clicks much louder than mine. Had a new brake pressure pipe fitted today, as it was making a psshhh sound after turning off, now the car chokes a little bit after engaging gear, also does it when idling, dont know if its just the pipe settling in or something else, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also my ABS keeps on coming on after i wash the car anyone ever had that problem before? It may be because i only had new brake pads recently fitted
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

mine only ever clicks when i've been thrashing it.

-Ben-
enimadrummer
Bronze Member

Post by enimadrummer »

Dude, you have like all the same problems as ive had! ABS light keeps on coming on randomly but goes off after a while. Im gunna take it in when i get the chance.
As for the clicking, it clicks normally and makes a pssshh sound if ive been "thrashing" it after turn the engine off.
Also have chokes but only since i had a new exhaust fitted....?

-Chris-
MaxZ
Platinum Member

Post by MaxZ »

finally been into garage, the pshh sound is the air pipe that goes into engine, my one was a bit torn so they replaced it with a new one. The clicking i keep getting told is normal and very loud on new Audis,
the ABS is apparently a dirty brake sensor, just had it cleaned so it's fine. As for the choking of the engine, the fuel pipe was a bit loose.
Hopefully it will all be sorted when i pick it up tday
MisterMinty
Getting There!

Post by MisterMinty »

A few new faults to report...and I've failed miserably to fix them. Which means lining VW's pockets with silver. :cry:

Problems - Airbag light is on , plus the rear wiper has died and gone to wiper heaven. Oh, my clutch pedal is also really creaky and my clutch bearings are on their way out. And for some reason, after a run, the engine just won't start without turning over for a good 10 seconds on the starter...after which, it revs up to about 3,000 rpm for no apparent reason.

Other than these gremlins, good! :D
polopowah
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Location: Hertfordshire Drives: Ford Puma 1.7 Enjoys: Mowing grass

Post by polopowah »

You sure it was the Airbag light?
the Abs light goes on and off in mine when its damp, as for the rear wiper thats a common one aswell, damn wiper cable splitting etc and getting water in the boot :(

-Ben-
MisterMinty
Getting There!

Post by MisterMinty »

Sadly Ben, yep. It's the airbag light. :cry: Really annoying as it's the one component I can't fix myself - but the one that potentially saves your life. Can't risk leaving it; especially as I'll be at the the Nurburgring this time next week. It's the wiper that's bugging me - I've tried a replacement motor unit, checked the circuit with a multimeter and everything looks fine. Except, it don't bleedin' work! :evil: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
randy
Bronze Member

Post by randy »

Ok, apart from gearbox f*****g up which is now fixed after replacing the whole damn thing heres the problem i have:

The drivers door does not lock with the key. The central locking has gone now.

Basically i can open the drivers door with the key, but to lock the door.

I have to lock it inside and jump out the passengers side and lock the passengers side with the key.

Aswell as that, the passengers side door is becoming quite stiff to open.

Ordered a replacement central locking pump to see if this solves the problem, any help?
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Just got my polo there 3 weeks ago and already having problems. When cold shes deadly to start up. When shes warmish shes 100%. Anyone have any ideas? Was thinkin it could be the temp someone mentioned above?
polo power
Gold Member

Post by polo power »

ye chap usually the temp sensor, take into account coils to.
Arnoldo
Gold Member

Post by Arnoldo »

Got her sorted m8.....it was the sensor indeed ;)
zahir_213
Silver Member

Post by zahir_213 »

gearbox has gone in my 1.9 SDI with 40K on the clock. going to be about 500 quid to put right.
Well done VW excellent build quality :roll:
I would advise anyone looking to buy MK5 to budget for a gearbox change, so in other words don't bother buying one!
Bepe
Platinum Member

Post by Bepe »

i have had qutie a numerous amount of faults,

1. 2 gearbox cables snapped
2. clutch box snapped
3. boot window washer pipe came off
4. boot is now leaking
5. getting either a new gearbox or mine recon after a seal of some sort has gone
6. exhaust snapped in half
7. battery kept dieing on me, had to get a new one so i bought one for a diesel
8.headlight bulbs keep blowing
9. sidelights keep blowing like sunday dinners
10. temp sensor bit that held it in place snapped, pissed out coolant everywhere
11. was installing stereo and blew numerous amounts of fuses around 3 or 4 in total, one beeing the fuel pump, so my car wouldnt start!
12. needed new pads, they were bolloxed and down to the bare metal(wear and tear)
13. interior doors have peeled
14. gear gaitor has torn and looked a mess
15. have been thru 3 windscreens in around 8 months
16. heater stoped working(the cable pully came off lol)
17. i cant think of anymore things lmao
18. erm
19. must be something else
20. nope lol
thats it!
enimadrummer
Bronze Member

Post by enimadrummer »

Update on the ABS light.

They ran ecu check last service, recorded no faults at all even tho ABS light and some other lights had come on.

Then wheels locked up the other day when someone cut me up, ABS didnt kick in then ABS light came on after that so took it into VW, they ran a check and said it is the rear wheel speed sensors which are sending false signals to the brakes....

He said it was nothin much to worry about and will cost 2 hour labour + parts to fix... Hope that helps anyone whos had this problem!

Chris
enimadrummer
Bronze Member

Post by enimadrummer »

Another update:

If anyone has similar problems with the ABS light, it may well be down to the rear spped/ABS sensors. At first mine were intermittent, but recently (just as im friggin sellin the car) came on permantly and registered on VAG as permanent fault.
The car WILL fail its MOT with the ABS light on, so to get both rear speed/ABS sensors replaced, its in excess of £250. :shock:

Im guessin, this may be what causes the ABS light to come on when you havnt got passengers in the rear seat (as this is usually when it comes on).

Chris