Freeze release spray experience

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
piglet14
Bronze Member
Drives: Arosa

Freeze release spray experience

Post by piglet14 »

Thought I would share a bit of experience gained, that's why we go on these things yes?

Had a caliper with a rotted in bleed nipple which resisted all the usual spray & leave to soak, so read up on various freeze/release sprays and tried it out.
Stripped caliper down, cleaned it up a bit, put it in the oven @ 230 for 40 mins.
Whipped it out with gloves and bundle of rags, out to the vice, several sharp blows, long burst of freezer then clamped rounded off nipple in vice and rocked to&fro. Nothing, repeated, Nothing.
Then son arrived , grabbed can and started to spray as I rocked, Bingo, it went with less force than I had been previously applying.

Verdict (based on 1 experience only):
The freeze effect works but is instant, the moment you stop spraying the bolt comes up to temperature and the effect is lost.
So, it's spray and force application TOGETHER!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Freeze release spray experience

Post by RUM4MO »

Good result, I've bought maybe WD40's version of freeze and shock spray but never used it - yet!

In the bad old days we used to do too much fault locating using freezer spray - but was a CFC gas and it highly overstressed other adjacent areas!

I would have thought that with a seized calliper bleed nipple, that you first attacked it with a wire brush then gently tried to break away the "rust sealing ring" then applied some strong release oil - not just something like WD40, then after a few applications over 12+hours, slowly rock it tighten/slacken then remove it.

Of course we all know that brake fluid should get replaced every two years so that should make sure that these items never get badly seized, I tend to replace these brake nipples after maybe 8 years due to them rusting up externally and getting a lip formed on them at the sealing point - which leads to (more) over tightening to seal them up.
piglet14
Bronze Member
Drives: Arosa

Re: Freeze release spray experience

Post by piglet14 »

I remember those cans of freeze spray from my electronics days (CMOS etc.)
Wondered why I couldn't find it on Ebay, has it been banned then?