Electrical Fault?

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
tegan-lilynixon
New
Drives: 2001 6n2 Polo SE

Electrical Fault?

Post by tegan-lilynixon »

Recently brought a 2001 6n2 Polo SE, seem to be having some problems which I think are electrics?

HELP!!!

Near side mirror was cracked and broken so have brought a replacement, however, this is the start of the problems. The toggle for adjusting the mirrors does not work.

The central locking doesn't work however this doesn't bother me as I know the central locking can often be faulty on these cars and isn't worth fixing. But, the passenger side door doesn't lock from the outside with the key. When trying to lock it, the car purrs and the window opens?

The drivers side window pad doesn't work either however the passenger side switch does. Are the switches supposed to light up? Because if so, they don't.

Also, the key on the gear stick, is that supposed to light up? Because it also doesn't.

Can anyone tell me where to start looking for what might of gone wrong?

Many thanks.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Electrical Fault?

Post by alexperkins »

You probably have a number of broken wires in the rubber boot between the door and the chassis on the drivers side

The central locking is probably a faulty pump

The passenger door lock needs a paddle repair kit to get that working again. Available from your dealer. The eBay ones are poor quality.

Gear stick - no that doesn't light.