Engine will not turn over

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
SwedishPete
New
Drives: Land Rover but wife drives 6N2 1.4 Auto

Engine will not turn over

Post by SwedishPete »

Swedish Pete here.
English but living in Sweden at present. No local garage to chat with.
Yesterday dawned -10C and when I started the car the oil warning light came on.
Switched off straight away and checked the level. I didn't expect a problem and the level was within the markers.
The oil on the stick looked normal so I assumed that the warning light was something to do with the low temperature.
Went out in my car instead and on return added new oil, slightly warmed to the Polo and started again. Success, no warning light and no unusual noises.
Within two minutes there was a strange clunk and the engine stalled. Tried to restart and the engine will not turn over. Battery light comes on but engine does not turn.

Any suggestions?
Does this sound electrical or mechanical?
Trivial or terminal?
Duffy
New
Drives: 2001 6N2 1.4 16v

Re: Engine will not turn over

Post by Duffy »

The fact that there was a mechanical noise and it stalled would suggest mechanical

If you can, pop the plugs out and try turning the engine over, either by accessing the bottom pulley or by putting it in gear and pushing the car with the engine in gear, thus will tell you if the engine is mechanically seized or not.

The oil light is for oil pressure, not oil level so you may well have a completely shagged engine on your hands (unfortunately)

:(
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Engine will not turn over

Post by 937carrera »

I agree, remove the plugs and try to turn over by hand from the bottom pulley. (pushing given the snow & ice that'll still be around would be my second choice). Make sure the car is out of gear.

Might also be worth taking the timing belt cover off for a quick inspection as you turn the engine.

Lycka till :)