battery drain ???

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Adriandiamond
Getting There!
Drives: Financing sons Polo 1.4 2001 (6N2)

battery drain ???

Post by Adriandiamond »

Bloody typical!!
Got the car ready for selling, charged the brand new battery to full charge before sending to MOT station 3 days ago. Came back with a couple of minor issues but still got a pass (on the understanding that the jobs get done).
This morning 3 days after battery was fully charged I went to turn over the car and NOTHING!! No lights on the dash NOTHING!! Checked the battery with volt meter.................2.5 volts.
Now I don't think it is the battery at fault because I got one a couple of months ago and that did the same so I took it back and got it replaced for this one.
Something is draining the power whilst stood still. Any ideas where to start. :(
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: battery drain ???

Post by RUM4MO »

I don't know what the power distribution on the 6N Polo is, but if there are a few leads on the battery +ve side, try finding the one that serves all the "inside" car stuff and remove that, see what happens and take it from there.

Also remove the charge lead.

Also you really need to get hold of a multimeter and see what the drain is, put it in series with the ground lead and configured for measuring current, then start removing fuses.

Edit:- boot light, glovebox light - are they if fitted getting switched off and staying off (remove bulbs or leads) - another thing, is the alternator charging the battery okay?

Another Edit:- this should not be off any significance to you, but to be aware of these things, my daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 SC and it has had a battery drain issue for well over a year, I eventually managed to get a SEAT dealer to consider that it might be a software issue not keeping lots of its controllers asleep when not in use - which is something that the best DIYer will ever find out about, they got in touch with SEAT and found that there was a fix, that was applied and so far, 6 weeks on, car checked daily when not being use, that problem has not returned.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

The 6N/6N2 polo is all manual electrics. Theres a central convenience controller for a very small number of things, but all the major components (lights, wipers, windows etc) are all hard wired via good old fashioned switching

As rum says, you need to do a leakage test and find out where the power is getting zapped from

The other possibility is your alternator isnt actually charging the battery properly
Adriandiamond
Getting There!

Post by Adriandiamond »

Thanks Rum and Alex gonna do some investigating. Alternator is charging at 14.4v when idle and 15.6v at around 2000 revs. Battery was brand new 2 months ago. Now need to find out what apart from the cold weather is stealing my volts.

On a bright note. Had an anti roll bar drop link to replace this morning and after a bit of a job removing the old nut, job was pretty easy and is now complete.
Just got the tailpipe to cut off and get another welded on in its place..........................probably do that tomorrow.

Will let you know how I get on with battery drain thing.
Adriandiamond
Getting There!

Post by Adriandiamond »

Update.....................
since the last charge 3 days ago battery seems to be ok. Don't ask me why! Now all I have to do is sort out why the central locking has stopped working. I have checked fuse 41 and that is ok, looked at wiring inside wiring harness between pillar and door.......all ok. Took pump box out, pulled it to bits cleaned everything, put it back together.....still nothing. Not to worry though at least I can still open drivers door. :D
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Pump might've died. It's very common on these
Adriandiamond
Getting There!

Post by Adriandiamond »

I've just been reading up on these, you're right. :cry:
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

If you replace, the part number must be identical. There's a lot of different variants and they aren't interchangeable
Adriandiamond
Getting There!

Post by Adriandiamond »

I'm not likely to change it as it is up for sale. Spent loads on it already and my lads not interested in it anymore. It has been sat outside for nearly a year now just being turned over and having parts replaced to make it look good for him but to no avail. Even had an MOT last week which it failed for 2 windscreen wipers, 1 anti-roll bar drop link and tail pipe corroded all of which have been done and a 12 month MOT pass certificate issued. I have stuck it on Ebay for £200 starting bid and if it goes for that I will be more than happy. Just seems I have wasted a lot of my time other peoples time and a load of money just to have it thrown in my face.................ungrateful little s**t. :cry: :x
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Thats a shame. You did your best! The 6N2s are great little cars, especially for a first.
Adriandiamond
Getting There!

Post by Adriandiamond »

It's a sad day for me today as my poor little Polo has now been sold :( :( :( :( :( ................but then again on the other hand it has gone to a new owner and will get used again instead of sitting on my drive. :D :D :D :D

I would just like to say a big thank you to all you knowledgeable people out there who over the past 12 months have helped me out with some of my Polo problems. It's been a good learning curve and my hat goes off to all of you. Thanks guys.

@alexperkins keep up the good work on here mate as even though you may not feel appreciated sometimes I'm sure you really are.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You are welcome Adrian 8)
Adriandiamond
Getting There!

Post by Adriandiamond »

I have passed on this websites details to the new owner so hopefully he will be registering with you in the near future. :D