New (to me) 6N2: Gear shifter problems

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
OGDalaiLama
New
Drives: 6N2 1.4MPI

New (to me) 6N2: Gear shifter problems

Post by OGDalaiLama »

Hi guys;
I've just bought my first VW - a mint condition 6N2, 1.4MPI 8V so a bit slow but nothing a few mods can't do, grannys car, mechanically sound, well kept everything at honestly a very good price. Only tiny issue is the automatic shifter knob - the transmission upshifts and downshifts/kicks down absolutely no problem, smooth and all, and the shifter moves as it should. Only thing is the small button that you depress when you change gears - it can be depressed and change gears no problem, but sometimes it doesn't come all the way out and it feels like it may be an issue with the spring inside. The shift knob looks pretty much like the ones used in the MK4 golf and jetta JFYI
I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with something like this before, and whether its an easy self fix/how much it could cost at a garage? Im in the Benelux area, so labour is around 50EUR/hr here.
Cheers!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: New (to me) 6N2: Gear shifter problems

Post by alexperkins »

Its probably just a sticking spring. A bit of lubrication from underneath may fix it.

The gear shift lever is the same on mk4 golfs, so you can probably just swap it out.