Car won't start after short trips.

Chat about your MKV (6N2) Polo
Stealthyy
New
Drives: 2000 6n2 1.4 75hk 16V

Car won't start after short trips.

Post by Stealthyy »

Hello my car is a Polo 6n2 1.4l 75hk aut comfortline.
My problem is that after visiting the shop, or waiting on the ferry. My car has trouble starting again, the only way to start it again is to have the foot on the throttle. It won't start without gas.
Another thing is that when the car sits for a few days, it starts, then dies. I need to keep my foot on the pedal for a while, or else it kills itself.
I really have no idea what can be wrong, I also calculated that it uses around 0.8 per 10km.
All help would be greatly appreciated.
937carrera
Silver Member
Drives: 2000 Polo GTi

Re: Car won't start after short trips.

Post by 937carrera »

I suggest you look for an air leak (split or missing hoses etc )on the intake side, which weakens the mixture. That could explain the starting issues, having an open throttle means the leak has less effect.

8 litres / 100km converts to around 35 mpg, which might be a bit thirsty, but the car is an automatic so will be less economical

mvh :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds like the age old temperature sensor failing making it very difficult to start once warmed up.
Stealthyy
New

Post by Stealthyy »

I have a leak in the intake, will try to fix it upcoming weekend. I can also hear a close to a whistling sound, not sure if that's the radiator fan or something else.
Is there a way to check the temperature sensor?
I have been doing a bit of a search on the internet, and I am beginning to wonder if the relay "109" is going sour. Have you had any experience with that?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Normally the temperature gauge misbehaves and will either not register or never hit 90 on the dash

The relays very rarely if ever fail on these
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

I'm going to assume that daytime temperatures in Norway at this time of year are between 8 deg C to 15 deg C and you will check it cold.

The spec for resistance between terminals C and D (at the rounded end, not the flat end of the sensor) is 4000 ohms to 3000 ohms (lower for the warmer temperature)

Hope that helps
Stealthyy
New

Post by Stealthyy »

New problem, now the car will not start. The a red oil lamp is flashing and beeping. What am I gonna do, I really need the car.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

That implies you have an oil pressure problem

When was the cambelt last changed? This issue can happen if the cambelt jumps a tooth

Check what colour your 109 relay is. If its black, its worth replacing it.
Stealthyy
New

Post by Stealthyy »

I thought I had a relay 109, but the only relay I got is 53. Sorry for the missinformation
Stealthyy
New

Post by Stealthyy »

The numbers I got when checking the resistance between terminal C and D:

The timingbelt:

I also saw that there was oil in the air filter, and surrounding the throttlebody.

The sensor:

Please post all your ideas on a possible solution.
937carrera
Silver Member

Post by 937carrera »

OK, so the reading of the sensor is in the range at ambient temperature, however you seem to have a more serious problem, but let's not panic.

The oil pressure warning light comes on if there is insufficient oil pressure, which means oil pressure is low or the sensor detecting the low oil pressure is faulty. The sensors generally don't fail, so the first basic thing to check is the oil level.

You can check the cambelt timing if you have a couple of 8mm drill bits avoiding use of the special tool. http://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17464 (I think that's the right approach for your engine, Alex will know for certain)

If the oil level / pressure is fine, and the cambelt has not slipped then I would move on to check presence of fuel (remove inlet fuel hose to fuel rail, place outlet into a small bottle to catch fuel and open drivers door) and spark (remove plugs from head, replace into spark plug caps, lay on head to earth and crank engine for a few seconds).
alanjwong
Bronze Member
Drives: 2001 VW Polo 6N2 1.4 16v 100BHP

Post by alanjwong »

I had this exact problem in mine and I changed the temperature sensor and fixed the problem. Mine is a 1.4 16v 100bhp model