Non-VW related chat - Moderated
Nij
New
Drives: 99 6n/86 camper/72 Bug 91 ZZR6/99 fezz

Post by Nij »

Hi all.

I am new to the Polo scene, tho not to the VW/moding/car scene.
I spent many years in the french hot hatch scene (Pug 205 GTi's/Saxo VT*'s). I was a regional leader and wrote a lot for Performance French Car Mag. I also tracked and dragged a Saxo VTS (163.8BHP at front wheels).
I have owned many cars during my life (cant count how many, but currently I own 6). I have had everything from a Metro to a Porsche and everything in between (kids kill off the pocket money). I have also took part in various disiplines of motorsport from Stock cars to Rallying (205 1.6 GTi) as well as track days and 'run what you brung' events.

My current stable is a 1999 Ford Fiesta as a daily smoker, 1991 Kawasaki ZZR600 (for them sunny days when I have nothing better to do than to try kill myself), 1972 VW Beetle I am currently on with a full resotation/customisation (see link in my signature if your interested), 1986 VW T25 camper van, 1998 Toyota Yaris (economical shopping/child cart) and now the 1999 VW Polo 6n.

I got the Polo because I wanted to go to local VW meets and shows, but there is no way I was gonna turn up in a Ford or a Toyota, the Bug is way off being finished and the camper is a big old beast to fly around the local meets with. One thing I have never done is modified a car into a 'euro', so I decided it was time I did. It will not be about power (after riding super bikes and also being able to do almost what ever speed I want at work, speed is not a huge issue to me anymore, this is about looks on a budget).
First thing I need to do is sort the bodywork, there are various dints and a hell of a lot of lacquer peel (but what do you expect for less than a few days wage - the stereo is probably worth more than I paid for the car). Then obviously I will have to drop it then play with the bodywork and some subtle styling mods of course. I am not saying th bug wont come back and bite me in the arse and I end up turning this thing into another weekend speed toy, but at the moment that isnt on the cards.

The Polo will be on the tightest budgets known to man, the bills/wife/kids/house/bug/rent on garage take most of my wages so wont be a chequebook car (the Bug is a challenge to make a show car for £1500!! so that shows how low budget will be). Any help/advise/critisim all welcome.

Anyway here is how it looks as of now....

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Newbie

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome

Sounds like you have a fairly interesting restoration on your hands. Love the old beetles 8)

As for the polo, looks like a tidy example of a run out model. V reg's were the best of the 6N as they had a load of 6N2 parts on them due to crossover :D
Nij
New

Post by Nij »

alexperkins wrote:Welcome

Sounds like you have a fairly interesting restoration on your hands. Love the old beetles 8)

As for the polo, looks like a tidy example of a run out model. V reg's were the best of the 6N as they had a load of 6N2 parts on them due to crossover :D
Cheers Alex

I didnt know that about the V plated ones, was registered 1/9/99 too lol. It has FSH not that that bothers me as such. But it was cheap £210 with MOT to last and obviously due to me not growing up and just the cars have got bigger (people say I am just like a 4 year old with matchbox cars) I have a traders policy (so only costs £12 a month to tax - bargain).

The Bug is a long term project, coming up to three years, tho was put down for a year when the youngest was born. It will be very personal, but hopefully different enough to stand out.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Bit of a bargain i would say to be fair. I would quite like a traders policy, but it would encourage me to buy more dubs lol.

Yeah these things never take the time we think they will! My old Mk2 golf gti took a good year more than it shouldve due to life commitments etc
Nij
New

Post by Nij »

alexperkins wrote:Bit of a bargain i would say to be fair.
Yeah I thought so too, I have been looking for a while if I am honest and only a 3 door 6n would do (I did consider/still slightly considering turning it into a van), plus half a tank of gogo and a full jerry can in the boot. Sony DAB radio/CD/MP3/USB head unit.....
alexperkins wrote:Yeah these things never take the time we think they will! My old Mk2 golf gti took a good year more than it shouldve due to life commitments etc
Thats one of the problems, plus with my career path I spend a lot of time studying too. Also with the Bug, it is down to finding parts at the right price which takes time (the wings for example took over two years to find in the price I wanted to pay, the 'mid roof' took a year and a half etc....).
Do you still have the Golf? I must admit, only Golf id have now is a MK2 GTi (a late,3 door 16v preferably), I have had a MK3 TDi and a MK1 cab (should have kept it I know)
alexperkins wrote:I would quite like a traders policy, but it would encourage me to buy more dubs lol.
Space for me is a issue with regards to buying more cars. The Toyota, bike and Fester live at mine, the dubs are currently at my parents (I took over their garage and driveway), plus I have a lock up/container (without power) where I store Bug parts. I plan to sort out a generator and turn it into a blasting shed (in ine half) and a air brushing place for the other half with storage right at the back, it was never intended as a car stoarge place, but if a Bug pan comes up at the right price then I will find room (kit car has always been a dream also), but then again if a fasty or a 914 comes up at the right price ill just get another container lol