Best way to get an AUX IN port

Discuss In Car Entertainment
mathewkeeton
New

Best way to get an AUX IN port

Post by mathewkeeton »

Hi All,

I have a VW Gamma Radio and a VW Single CD Player ( I thought I had a CD changer but it appears I don't ) . (Car is a 2002 VW POLO 9N1)
-- Image of my dash showing which units I have > http://public-access.mathewkeeton.co.uk ... AG0060.jpg

I want to add an aux port and want to keep both the gamma radio and the single CD player, so am I right in saying I can do so by connecting where the CD Changer should plug in to?

First thing, where should the CD Changer connect? ( I have found two possible places but unsure which it is but my favourite theory would be, it connects to the port behind the CD player )

Empty Port Behind the CD Player http://public-access.mathewkeeton.co.uk ... AG0080.jpg

Unused Pins on the connector on the back of the Gamma Radio http://public-access.mathewkeeton.co.uk ... AG0083.jpg

Second thing, can I use this by plugging it directly into where the CD changer should go? ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-VW ... 1881365589 )

Third thing, is this the cheapest/best way?

I'll appreciate any feedback / suggestions :)
Last edited by mathewkeeton on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Best way to get an AUX IN port

Post by alexperkins »

You'll lose the CD player if you add an aux port as it uses the same port as the single CD player. The spare ports are for telephone and RCA outputs

Your best really to buy a replacement head unit and be done with it. It'll be far superior to the vw head unit and provide a lot more functionality and far better sound.
mathewkeeton
New

Post by mathewkeeton »

alexperkins wrote:You'll lose the CD player if you add an aux port as it uses the same port as the single CD player. The spare ports are for telephone and RCA outputs

Your best really to buy a replacement head unit and be done with it. It'll be far superior to the vw head unit and provide a lot more functionality and far better sound.
but where does the CD changer plug into? I am pretty sure I have seen a single cd changer and gamma radio with a external cd changer. The telephone port and RCA appears to be those unused pins but at the back of the CD player what is that port for? also if this is the case you can not have CD changer and CD player why does the gamma radio have CD and CC buttons?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Normally, you dont have both

In some setups they can plug into the back of the CD player, but from what I recall, you cant use this with an AUX in adapter

To be fair, as I said earlier, the GAMMA head unit is very dated now, and the sound it produces really isnt that great compared to modern head units that have decent Graphical Equalisers etc.
mathewkeeton
New

Post by mathewkeeton »

OK say I was to get a new headunit with CD,radio, AUX as a minimum requirement, how much you reckon I should budget? and is there any you recommend?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

You can pick up a decent head unit for under £100 easily. I would personally go for pioneer or alpine as they are always good quality.
alitee3
New

Post by alitee3 »

how much is your budget matt as I got a pioneer dex p9r head unit and a pioneer deq p9 digital eq goin' for sale over in the classifieds...check it out online to see specs etc...I had the aux input of the head unit runnin' my ipad as mainscreen in a custom build console in my old sharan 4motion... head unit is pre-out only though so you would need amplification...
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

I'd heard that, if you have a single disk CD player, you can plug an aux into the back of it? Which is why there's a light on the CD player that says CD changer- if you press the CD button on the main headunit it goes first to the CD player, then to the Aux. This is assuming you get one of the aux systems that pretends to be a CD changer, like the Connects2 ones.

Could be wrong though, I don't have the CD player in my car.