How low can i go?

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
patchb
New

How low can i go?

Post by patchb »

I'm looking into buying some lowering springs (im a skint 17 y.o, its a temparory measure till i can afford coilies) But not sure how low i can go on my wheels.

They are 15's not sure on any other details like width etc, but they have 185/55 tyres on them. I'm looking at either a 70/60 drop or a 60/50, depending on wether i will get scrubbing on the lower of the 2 kits.

Cheers
Whos Adam?
Bronze Member

Re: How low can i go?

Post by Whos Adam? »

If you go too low on springs I believe you start to sacrifice on ride quality, and because your using the same shocks, there's the bump stop issue too.

I know you'd definately get 50mm at least
Torq-Al
Gold Member

Post by Torq-Al »

If you're only buying a set of springs, then 40mm is the max you can go without killing the shocks very rapidly. Best to save a bit longer & do it once and do it right, with them coilovers! :D

Plus, are you sure you have 15's? As they should be wrapped in 195/45's, 14's came with 185/55's! :?
Whos Adam?
Bronze Member

Post by Whos Adam? »

Definately, I bought a set of 35mm Lowering springs, havent put them on the car yet.
Gonna save for coilovers.

These will be up for sale if anyone is interested!
patchb
New

Post by patchb »

Yep they are definately 15s, they are Masitaly Presidents, not a nice wheel really, but i was given them for free, and they look pretty nice now they have been professionally done in gloss black.

I say the springs are a temporary measure, but they are going to be on there until at least january, and I am not having the car looking like it is on stilts until then. I think I'm going to go for 50mm all round.