MOT advisory: Drag/Drop link end ball joint slight play

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
peep_peep
New

Post by peep_peep »

Hey there. I took my Polo in to get its MOT, it passed but came back with an advisory:

Nearside inner (to rack) Drag link end ball joint has slight play [2.2.B1f]

Car is a Polo Gti 2001 (6n2)

After a google i think it means Drop link.

A few questions:

Has anybody had to get one of these replaced?

Or is it fixable as in does it just need tightening (never seen one as first car so please don't laugh if that's a silly question)

Is it best to get both sides done?

How many hours labor would it take?

Rough price for either the one part or both parts/side?

Defiantly something a mechanic should do?

Thanks in advance. Phil
fonzooorooo
Bronze Member

Re: MOT advisory: Drag/Drop link end ball joint slight play

Post by fonzooorooo »

The trick with any terminology you don't understand on an MOT certificate is to ask the MOT tester. They'll explain - Often if you tell them you want to know about any issues before the test, they'll show you while it's on the ramps. Very handy!

I reckon the thing to do here is either pop back and ask the MOT guy to clarify, or... Jack the car up, support it safely, get your head underneath, and get an assistant to wobble the wheels... You should see where the play is. The play is likely to be in a ball joint, so the component containing the joint will need to be replaced - not just a tighten up job.

From what I've just seen on google images, the bar's likely to have ball joints on each end, and possibly a second component in the middle, bolted on. (I'm not familiar with your car specifically) If you've got ball joint splitters, it should be a DIY job, assuming you can access it/are confident/have confident assistant. You may be VERY lucky and the ball joints'll pop out after a belt with a hammer, but they usually don't, and you end up needing splitters!

Hope that helps.
BenGTI
New

Post by BenGTI »

Sounds to me like it's the track rod end and tie rod. As the polo gti 2001 doesn't have drop links. They have a anti roll bar instead.

Might b worth just popping bk to m.o.t station and asking them the exact fault like said above u should always ask the tester if unsure of the anything.
peep_peep
New

Re: MOT advisory: Drag/Drop link end ball joint slight play

Post by peep_peep »

Hey, cheers for your reply's guys.

Iv just taken it to have a look at and its the - near side inner track rod ball join. just need to get the part and hell replace it.

Thanks, Phil