6N2 Front Wheel Bearings

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
bewsh
New

6N2 Front Wheel Bearings

Post by bewsh »

I've noticed that there is a bit of a whirling noise when I get up to speed, I'm assuming this would be the wheel bearings? If so, is it possible to buy a hub/bearing assembly, where it's all together from the factory? Looks like hard work getting old bearings out...
BenGTI
New

6N2 Front Wheel Bearings

Post by BenGTI »

Wheel bearing humming noise will occur at speeds of around 30-50mph..
Also replacing the bearings has to be done by a garage. As the bearings need to b pressed in straight. And it's not am easy job without the correct tools.

Has your polo had a recon gearbox yet?
bewsh
New

Re: 6N2 Front Wheel Bearings

Post by bewsh »

It hasn't had a reconditioned gearbox, not that I know of anyway. Why?
BenGTI
New

6N2 Front Wheel Bearings

Post by BenGTI »

Well I had my gearbox recond as the bearings were whining. Not humming like the wheel bearings. Just incase it is the box bearings and not wheel bearings.

If the noise increases as u accelerate up to 50-70 then decreases as u slow down it's more likely to be box related.

U can check the wheel bearings by jacking up the front and spin the wheel, place your hand on the suspension strut to check for vibration. Or simply get up to speed where u can hear the noise and turn the wheel left to right if the noise goes away when turning left or right then it's definitely a wheel bearing.

Sorry for the overload of info but hopefully it helps.
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

Excellent, thanks for the info. I need to change one of the rear suspension struts tomorrow, so I'll check the wheel bearings as well. Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost to recon the gear box?
BenGTI
New

6N2 Front Wheel Bearings

Post by BenGTI »

How did u get on with the strut and bearings? My box cost £380 to get recon but I removed and refitted it myself. So I saved a bit there.
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

The rear strut was a easy to be fair. I think it may be the rear bearings rather than the front now, so I need to get a big breaker bar or something to get the axle nut off to let me remove the rear hub, I don't think the rear hub is pressed in so once I have the 12 point nut off, it should be easy, fingers crossed! Only thing is that they are quite a bit more expensive than the front as the hub/bearings come as a complete unit, so they are about £60 each.

I have also noticed a bit of a knocking noise at the front end of the car, only happens when I go 360 around those mini round abouts, any ideas? Tie ends worn?