6N2 Brakes

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
Dalescottfk
New

6N2 Brakes

Post by Dalescottfk »

Really in need of help here, my mate was changing the discs and pads on my 6N2 but can't get the passenger side caliper off, blot is stuck and the head is rounded.
Really need some ideas on how to get this off.
I was thinking of maybe filing down both sides of the head of the bolt and using a large adjustable or mole grips to wrench it off, bolt is going to need replaced anyway
Dalescottfk
New

Re: 6N2 Brakes

Post by Dalescottfk »

Ah well that's it done, some shock and unlock, some 3 in 1 penetrating spray, tapped a 12mm socket onto it and forced it off
Dalescottfk
New

Re: 6N2 Brakes

Post by Dalescottfk »

Another issue here, when removing these slide bolts/pins, I had one out for a while when I was checking what size socket I would need and then went I went back outside to the car there was fluid leaking onto the ground, checked under the bonnet and it was the brake fluid.
Slid the bolt back in until the next day and there didn't appear to be any more leaking, finally got that other one out today but left it in there a little as the socket was still forced onto the head and I didn't want to lose the bolt, went back outside later and the street was covered in brake fluid, checked under the bonnet and it's completely empty.

So what's the problem? Does the fluid leak out when the bolts holding on the caliper are undone? Seems strange, any ideas?

This is one of the bolts in question
Brake caliper slide bolt by Dalescottfk, on Flickr

Brake caliper slide bolt by Dalescottfk, on Flickr

Bolts are unbelievably corroded, going to phone TMS motor spares tomorrow and see if they sell replacement if not then I'm not sure where to go, maybe to Volkswagen?