Are these RX2's scrap?!

Discuss Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres
BBBaboonface
Bronze Member

Are these RX2's scrap?!

Post by BBBaboonface »

Hi all, just wanted a few opinions on whether these wheels have any value. I cant believe anyone could let them get this bad! One is "okay", as compared to the others, three look like this...
A detail shot of the bolt surrounds...
As can be seen, the actual structure of the lip round the bolt head is degrading :shock: The "good" wheel looks like this...
When i say good i just mean not crumbling around the bolt heads! I thought perhaps someone could use the good one (with a standard refurb) as a spare, and chuck the other three in for spares/repair. Or is it just off to the scrappy? Opinions welcomed, Cheers folks!
P.S. they werent on my car! :D
P mk4
Bronze Member

Re: Are these RX2's scrap?!

Post by P mk4 »

Iv refurbed two sets of rx2's one set was in quiet a bad state, In this state they can still be refurbed but more than likely be imperfections pitting around the bolts and depending on how bad the lip is you may have to spend alot of time sanding them back or get them re cut ? either it will cost money or lots of time :lol:

If you want to sell them and willing to post il take them off your hands as i dont have a single set of wheels at the moment haha :oops: like a challenge see hoe close i can get them back to former glory pm me if you want mate :)
BBBaboonface
Bronze Member

Post by BBBaboonface »

Hey there, thankyou for the reply. Im desparate to make some money for my winter wheels idea, but three of these badboys need metal replacing/reshaping round the bolt heads. I figure they might be beyond a "conventional" refurb, (not wishing to belittle your ability) i simply dont wont to rip anyone off. Was provisionally quoted £75 a wheel by alloy wheel repair.net, i reckon 3 will need metal added then reformed. Its definitely a big job, the company i mentioned can do structural repair, but i'd probably have to give them away to make it worth someones time or expense :roll: ! Any price would pretty much be for the one "decent" wheel, two budget tyres, and the other three thrown in for good measure/annoyance :D
Last edited by BBBaboonface on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
P mk4
Bronze Member

Post by P mk4 »

Iv never seen a set to be that bad haha might be worth taking about the bolts where the major corrosion is and see how bad it is undernearth ? Il still take them for the right price :)
BBBaboonface
Bronze Member

Post by BBBaboonface »

Sorry bud, just editing last post there! Major league hangover :roll: typing hurts! Will maybe try to get one out in a sec and see.
Iv never seen a set to be that bad haha
Tell me about it! ive already made my money back, by having two tyres off them, but i cant believe someone was probably rolling on these :shock: !
I dont know if its the done thing to talk money in public, should i PM you?
P mk4
Bronze Member

Post by P mk4 »

Pm'd