New

breathing

Post by B REAL »

Okay whats the best airfilter for a mk4 polo? :P
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

On my MK4, I had a K&N and a Ramair (not at the same time)

The Ram Air filter was partly developed on my car!

I liked the Ram Air more than the K&N, but there's not much in it

With my new car, I'm not going to have an induction kit, just a drop in panel filter.
vwpower
Bronze Member

Post by vwpower »

And for a 9N
wich air filter?
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

What sort of benefits do you get with a K&N filter? I read somewhere that it can increase bhp? Is this true? I have a new Polo 1.2 55 and if I can squeze a few extra horses out of it then maybe i'll keep it until august.

Help much apprieciated

Neil
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Nelson

If you go for a panel filter (ie. K&N Filtercharger), it lets your engine breath more easilly (like sucking a Tunes!)

They claim a slight increase in BHP, but mainly it helps to get rid of flat spots etc.

With an Induction Kit (ie. K&N 57i) as long as you've got a good cold air feed from the front of the car to the filter you can get a few more BHP and it makes a loud sucking noise on acceleration.

Most people nowadays are going back to panel filters unless the design of the engine allows you to mount an Induction Kit near the front of the engine bay next to some cold air.

On the Polo, the mounting position is at the top of the engine right at the back... Hottest place in the engine bay, so they're not particularly effective.

Hope this helps!
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Hmm, I think I will try one, where do I go to find if the even make a K&N or a panel filter for a MK6 Polo?
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

yeah i have an induction kit on the mo but am returning to a k&n panel filter due to heat problems.
Speedlaw

Post by Speedlaw »

Does a Panel filter (or drop in filter) actually help? I'm taking my car in for a service pretty soon and that could be the right time to consider upgrading the standard panelfilter to a nice K&N item.

I'm not expecting any substantial power gains but a better (smoother) delivery would be much appreciated. Should I start looking? :?:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I've been told that fitting a K&N filter doesn't void the warranty, is this true?

Cheers
Neil
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

well i was told, nto sure if this is true....... that anything that isnt under original vw warranty can be replaced with non vw parts and shouldnt effect ur warranty. something to do with human rights and not being forced to buy parts from one place. could be total rubbish though
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

i think the rule is somthing like this:
if a part will not be replaced free by the dealer (i.e. filters when you get a service) then it is your choise of what to put in there
example: your tyres wear out and instead of putting continentrals on again you opt for some michlins or dunlop etc then as long as they are the same size then they dont invalidate the warrenty do they? if however you swap your 13" steelies for 19" alloys then the warenty is invalidated as other parts may be affected however some items may not be invalidated, example: if you change your head unit then it is not vw garanteed but the engine will still be. the whole waranty thing is a bit of a gray area and the dealers WILL choose their own threash hold point
blackpologti
Bronze Member

Post by blackpologti »

sounds about right to me! i think a lot of it is down to each individual dealer. mine has been good to me :D
vwpower
Bronze Member

Post by vwpower »

One Time i tried to put one conic filter but I get scared coz it start like shake or tremble the accelerator and brake pedal

WHY don`t ask me. So I just put again de pannel.

What I did las weekend and it help allot is to take out the first inlet tube or piece of box that is on the filter box. Instead I put a direct tube to the front grill And it felt a better response
whitie
New

Post by whitie »

if u really want a cone filter,i advise u get sum tubing to go from the throttle boddy to the inside of the wing,as ther is cool air ther.
god knows y they use round air boxes on top of the engine :roll:

but as in PVW this month,the 2 polos hav the filter at the begining of the air box intake