Help - 2006 Polo 1.4 Petrol engine failure

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
Stevez3
New

Help - 2006 Polo 1.4 Petrol engine failure

Post by Stevez3 »

Has anyone heard of this?
Brought an approved VW Polo 1.4 75ps from main dealer in June last year with 20k on the clock.

Car went in for a service & MOT today (only done 2k since purchase). I mentioned it has always 'rattled' and friends thought it was a diesel.

Dealer phoned me to say a new engine is required...! They think the cylinder liners are the problem.
VW will pay for new engine but only half the labour (because they know there is an issue with this) and I would have to find £650 to cover the rest.

I also took out the extended warranty so thought this would cover it but it seems I still might have to pay investigation costs which could amount to £450. These might be reinbursed by the warranty company but this couldn't be guaranteed.

I feel completely cheated by all concerned. I thought I had covered all angles and it seems I still might have a large bill to pay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Help - 2006 Polo 1.4 Petrol engine failure

Post by alexperkins »

Its a very odd situation!

I would stick hard and fast on not paying a penny for this work - the car hasnt even done that many miles, therefore you shouldnt have to pay anything to have it fixed.

Call VW care at their headoffice and explain the situation - a 20k miles car shouldnt fail in just under 4 years!!