Platinum Member

Re: EPC Light

Post by Bepe »

its for your brake lights mate means there not working
benmkiv
Platinum Member

EPC Light

Post by benmkiv »

Not necessarily mate. This is a common fault with a faulty brake switch but it means the engine power control mode is enabled. Could be the brakes or any number of engine fault. You'll be in limp home mode until you get it sorted or the problem corrects itself
Dub_Dan
Gold Member

Post by Dub_Dan »

urgh this was a pisstake mate i was driving without break lights for 2 weeks (i dont reccomend) for me i lost traction control, no breaks, no cruise control and car decided to go into limp mode on the motorway

seems to me it could be the break light switch as they all work of the same switch

good luck
danny
benmkiv
Platinum Member

EPC Light

Post by benmkiv »

New switch is £8 from dealers and is so easy to fit it's a 2 minute job to do. bit it makes the car run horrid without it just pops straight out theb back in.
benmkiv
Platinum Member

EPC Light

Post by benmkiv »

Also it won't stop the brakes working though the switch doesn't control it all it's just for the lights and trips out the ECU I believe. Get a code read done because my epc light came on I put I't down to the brake switch also turned out to me faulty thermostat and faulty pressure sensors on the inlet manifold which I ignored. It could be so many things mate
chrisb
New

Post by chrisb »

thanks for the replies.Just been driving with the light on at the moment.Its not in limp mode and the brake lights work.The EPC light comes and goes.I need to get it plugged in to a reader i think.
I did try one reader but it wont work. i think because the reader is for cars from 2001 and the polo's 2000.
ta
benmkiv
Platinum Member

EPC Light

Post by benmkiv »

Could be so many things mate. Temp sender, thrust sensor. Just find someone to do a read I got quoted £70 from vw ended up costing me £20