6N2 Check Engine Light

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
bewsh
New

6N2 Check Engine Light

Post by bewsh »

Yesterday the engine management light came on as I was driving. The car was running fine as I was driving, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. The only thing that seems to be causing a bit of a problem is that sometimes when I try to start the car, it doesn't start. It turns once and the nothing, but then if i switch off the ignition and try again, it will start. I'm assuming that this is the route of the problem, but unsure of what it might be.

I was thinking that the coolant temperature sensor may be faulty as the car takes ages to show the temperature above 70. But it the gauge does move so it can't be that? Does anyone have any ideas?

Does the check engine light go off if you disconnect the battery?
poloXOM
New

6N2 Check Engine Light

Post by poloXOM »

What engine is it?? Mines a ARC and had a similar issue. Could be the throttle body buddy, it made need a clean. That and maybe the map sensor as well. My throttle body was in hideous nick and so was the sensor do I cleaned them both and the fault went away.
bewsh
New

Re: 6N2 Check Engine Light

Post by bewsh »

thanks for the reply. It's a 1.4 8v engine. I will have to check them out. Do you need specific cleaners for them? Would they cause poor MPG aswell?
poloXOM
New

6N2 Check Engine Light

Post by poloXOM »

Yup, it'll drink it like. I'd put my money on it being the throttle body, you can clean it with like carb cleaner u gt in Halfrauds or autosave.
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

ok excellent thanks for the help. I'll give it a go on the weekend. Although I took it to the garage today to get something on the suspension changed, and he plugged it in to the computer and it wasn't reading any faults so he reset it and nothing has appeared yet, so maybe it was just a glitch. But, it is using a bit too much fuel, so I'll give the trottle body a clean and see how it goes.
poloXOM
New

Post by poloXOM »

No worries min
bewsh
New

Post by bewsh »

Yo, I think I may have discovered the problem. Take a look...
http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 19&t=55950