air filter renewal and gearbox oil change help please

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
MTB
New

air filter renewal and gearbox oil change help please

Post by MTB »

Hi all, i purchased all the appropriate stuff for my service and gearbox oil change, i have a few probelms though, as you all know there is no haynes manual for a 99-2001 polo 1.4 6n2 tdi :( , i dont know the proper location of the sump drain plug, also i cant seem to find the gearbox drain plug and filler plug, i dont even know what sort of sockets or keys etc i need for the plugs, ie normaul socket or splines bit etc, so ill need help with that, what do i need?. I have looked everywhere for the air filter aswell and cant seem to find it!, im used to haveing japanese cars and they are pretty simple to service with just basic tools etc so im really stuck here, any help is much appreciated, thx all.

1.4 tdi polo 2000 6n2 amf engine code.
Mytukas
New

Re: air filter renewal and gearbox oil change help please

Post by Mytukas »

Hi mate,
Yesterday I just replaced the air filter on exact model of Polo as yours. The filter is located beneath the engine, just at the very corner of the front bumper, driver's side. In my case I had to completely remove the bumper to get convenient access to it. It may sound difficult, but it was very easy. Removed 16 screws ant the bumper simply popped off revealing an air filter. I did all the job in 40 minutes ;)
There is a plain guide how to remove a bumper: http://www.uk-polos.net/view ... 10&t=23920
All the tools you will need for the job is only T20 TORX key.

I hope that helped ;)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Sadly a Haynes was never brought out for the TdI

What's the reg? The gearbox filler and drain plugs vary on position depending on when in the 3 years it was built.

Ensure you use a fully synthetic 75W90 gearbox oil. Semi synthetic is not correct for the polo

It's a 17mm hex plug to undo the gearbox with

Correct oil level is when the fill plug starts to over flow with the car level

Sump is 19mm spanner. Be sure to replace the bolt and washer when you do it.

Also a lot of the bumper screws are T25 and not T20
MTB
New

Post by MTB »

Hi guys, mytukas thx for the info on the filter mate, do i really have to remove the bumper to get to the air filter properly :( , and alex my reg is w47ydm, as i said its the 2000 model, i was under the car the other day, found a plug on the front left hand side at the bottom of the gearbox and one right under the gearbox right in the middle both are the same this is how im confused :? , i cant seem to find any filler hole usually they are half way up the box on the passenger side of the car, when looking i cant seem to see anything, even vw couldent help me. And i went to a car shop and checked my book about the correct oil, both come out as semi synthetic 75/90, i think the newer shape polo from 2002 takes fully synthetic, thx guys.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

The drain is under the passenger side driveshaft flange on the gearbox

The filler is above the reverse light switch on the front

I can guarantee you it's fully synthetic oil you need - i used to work at vw plus I just checked the official vw workshop manual to be sure and it clearly states synthetic oil only :)
MTB
New

Post by MTB »

Hi all, alex i managed to find the filler plug, loosened and took it off and no oil came out, its located on the passenger side of the gearbox on the front near the bottom, the drain plug is right on the bottom of the gearbox so easy to get to, and i phoned a few places about the oil including my local vw, everyone told me defo 75/90 semi synthetic, heres a link to one of the websites i checked online. http://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/servic ... f-gear-oil
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Im only going on the official VW workshop manual (ELSAwin) mate - it says fully synthetic oil only.

Just my two pence

Fully synthetic lasts alot longer than semi synthetic in any case, therefore there are only benefits to using it.
MTB
New

Post by MTB »

Thats np mate, everybodys input was much appreciated, no matter how small the help can be, only good comes from it, cheers. :D