Issue dropping down into 2nd gear

Discuss Engine, Gearbox and Exhaust
DanTheDoc
New

Issue dropping down into 2nd gear

Post by DanTheDoc »

Hi all,

Sorry for my first post being a question but I've got an issue which I think may be causing further damage so I want to get it sorted.

I've had a Polo 1.4 tdi x Reg since about Feb, it's a cracking little car but has had a niggling problem since I bought it. I cannot change from 5th/4th/3rd into 2nd with confidence as it does not do it every time.

Going from 1st to 2nd is fine but changing down a gear into second can be a struggle. The things I have noticed so far are:

1. Fine going through the gears when stationary
2. Seems to be slightly better when warmer
3. Sometimes it feels as though it is hitting something solid, the gear stick will not drop down past the centre line at all with no matter how much force
4. If I try to go from 3rd to 2nd and it hits the brick wall, I can push it up to the bottom of the 1st gear, without engaging first, and it will then go down into 2nd but its still stiff.
5. Absolutely no problems going into 2nd from 1st or using any other combination of gears
6. It doesn't do it every time but it is definately most times
7. I'm not 100% but I think sometimes heavy braking whilst selecting 2nd can help but that might just be my imagination.

If anyone can help on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Issue dropping down into 2nd gear

Post by alexperkins »

Welcome Dan

Theres a few things you need to get checked

The bushes on the end of the shift cables
The alignment of the shift mechanism
The lower gearbox mount
When the gearbox oil was last changed

All of these things will contribute to gear selection problems, and the lower gearbox mount especially under heavy braking as the engine will move indepently, and if it moves too far, gear changing will become difficult.
DanTheDoc
New

Post by DanTheDoc »

Thanks for your quick reply, I will start investigating.

Dan
CallumThomasson
New
Drives: 2010 Polo S

Post by CallumThomasson »

Did you ever fix this, my 2010 Polo S is the exact same, to the point where I completely avoid 2nd gear in fear it will not go in and I’ll end up scaring whoever’s behind me
Lordbender
New
Drives: Mk6 Polo

Post by Lordbender »

Check breather pipe for back pressure if it has lots then you need to change a whole motor. It was happen to me. So, you can find an used one in this store: https://orbimotors.com/
Lordbender
New
Drives: Mk6 Polo

Post by Lordbender »

Check breather pipe for back pressure if it has lots then you need to change a whole motor. It was happen to me. So, you can find an used one in this store: https://orbimotors.com/