Bumper Respray

Detailing & Bodywork
bouzel
Bronze Member

Bumper Respray

Post by bouzel »

I'm planning on resprayying my bumpers as i just smoothed them out, and i was just wondering to get the primer to stick good do i have to sand the orginal paint or can i just spray on top?
Also do i sand it down in between the basecoat and the laquer?
Also any other tips would be much appreciated
Many thanks Anis
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

my advice is, unless u got the exact colour match get a body shop to do it.

however if, like me ur not to bothered about an exact match just yet and using spray cans then u prob could spray straight onto the lacquer but i used wet and dry first 400 or about there to roughen it and taken the smooth shiny surface away.

the way i did it was:
1. remove the bump strips of my rear bumper.
2. get rid of any bits protruding out further then wat the bumper is
3. use fine mesh and body filler to cover up the holes
4. fill in the indents
5. once i gone over and over all the filling and sanding and am happy its smooth and ready for the next stage then i primed it.
6. after first coat of primer i could see the minor imperfections so could correct them.
7. sand the primer with finer wet and dry like 1200 or 2000. dont have to do much just to make it smooth so its not bumpy.
8. another coat of primer and sand it
9. sort all inperfections and reprime
10. once ur happy with the priming and filling then said the primer with fine wet and dry and dry it of befor painting. if droplets of water are on there when u put paint on it ull notice it.
11. put about 3 coats of the paint colour u want on with a light sanding inbetween again with fine wet and dry
12. after u done this and your happy with the colour and quality then do the same with the lacguer.
13. once its done and ur happy with the finished result, stand back, admire your work and then have a cuppa, or if u cant wait, go for a cruise and show of your new work.

hope this helps. if u got n e queries ask me if i can help i will.

ive also done the rear door bump strips and then gonna do the front door then the front bumper.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

altho i will be honest when i put the colour on i give it a light sanding between coats but when u put the last coat of colour on befor the lacquer i dont sand it befor i put the lacquer on and i dont sand between lacquer coats. i dunno if your suppose to or not but so far it hasnt done me n e harm. but there again i have been using amazing halfords spray paints.
jonnyboy2
New

Post by jonnyboy2 »

bumping for later.