How do you smooth the number plate recess over?

Detailing & Bodywork
CraigMK4
Silver Member

How do you smooth the number plate recess over?

Post by CraigMK4 »

On a 6n 16v bumper? I haven't got a clue but would really like to try my hand at doing it myself, any ideas?
Jack.
New

Post by Jack. »

plastic welding id sugest but its hard to get it perfect then abit of flexible filler
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

Yeh i heard that but isn't it near impossible to do DIY?
Jack.
New

Post by Jack. »

Not really if you know what your doing
It would be alot easyer with an actually v cutting plastic welder but they cost aload
so it looks like the soldering iron but it would crack easyily if you us a soldering iron unless you do it properly
Dan_B
New

Post by Dan_B »

It's harder because it's plastic. I'm guessing your talking about a boot flush? a typical one is metal so you can weld a plate to it, fibre glass, filler, boom!

Too be honest i'd let a bodyshop do it. They know what to look for when smoothing it off. Takes a hell of alot of practice to get it right. Especially a big area like that.

Have you thought where you would put the number plate after and how you would light it?
Silver Member

Post by 8080 »

Plate recess on a 16v bumper? I'm not sure what that is, but basically if you want to weld over a hole in a bumper you need a donor bumper to cut a similarly curved piece of plastic out off. This kind of idea http://www.stormdc.com/blog/2007/04/i-l ... t-end.html
CraigMK4
Silver Member

Post by CraigMK4 »

Thanks guys, btw i'm talking about the front bumper.
6n_polo
New

Post by 6n_polo »

Hiya the easiest way to smooth your bumper recess is with fibre glass. i smoothed my recess with fibreglass and the 2 top slits in the 16v bumper. i used my old 8 v bumper as a donor and cut out 2 lengths to fit in the 16v slits. i held them in with fibreglass (back and front) basicaly like a sandwich and simply spent a few hours smoothing off the fibreglass on the front. hope that was some help for you.
kipper
Platinum Member

Post by kipper »

im currently modifying a rear bumper for my car and started of using fibre glass but it didnt wanna hold in place so now im using a 40w solderin gun and welding it and so far its working ok. gotta do some reinforcing on the back side now so the are isnt as flexable then sand and do some filler then i'll get a front one and do that one.